Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, best-in-class Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management, Threat Hunting and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff and technology helps shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture, flexible remote work options, as well as generous on-site perks. The company was named to the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies list in 2019 and 2020 and is among the top 25 in the Cleveland Metro Market. Additionally, Binary Defense received the prestigious recognition by Forrester as being a “Leader” in Managed Detection & Response. At the Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
About the Role
Binary Defense is seeking a Director of Software Engineering, reporting into the VP, who will be critical in building a sustainable, and highly scalable product along with expanding our engineering organization to support our growth. You will be a key player in the operational excellence of our current platform and pivotal in both informing and executing on the vision of our next generation capabilities.
Our delivery cycles are highly variable – with some activities needing a rapid response and delivery to all customers within hours and others requiring deep research, planning, and validation over many weeks. The successful candidate for this role must have experience leading teams through similar models and possess the mental flexibility to deal with such complexity.
Binary Defense is looking for a talented, high-energy, collaborative person with deep expertise in building cloud-native applications to lead a team maintaining and evolving a complex product. In this leadership role you will be responsible for solutions focused on the success of internal and external customers, and building deep partnerships within our organization (e.g. Product Management, Customer Service, Security Operations, Marketing, & Sales).
As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedule.
· Provide thought leadership by constantly researching the technology landscape and implementing new ways to solve business problems that can be applied consistently.
· Passionately advocate for technical excellence and help the teams make good decisions following best practices.
· Mature agile engineering practices such as CI/CD, automated unit testing, automated acceptance testing, test driven development (TDD), pair programming, feature teams, refactoring, collective code ownership, building in vertical slices, code reviews, etc.
· Provide technical leadership, ensuring that architectural and technical standards are established, documented, & followed.
· Look to the future – ensuring teams are building secure and scalable solutions that align to our desired future state architecture, tooling, and vision.
· Inspire and motivate the engineering team to work together as a cohesive team in an inclusive environment.
· Set, manage, and report operational KPIs to measure progress and facilitate data-driven decision making.
· Effectively lead to instill trust, empower team members, focus on business outcomes, and foster a learning culture.
· Build a high performing engineering organization through attracting and developing top talent, ensuring employees are challenged and successful.
· Identify and support emergent leaders within the team.
· Ensure delivery teams have clear priorities and adequate resources.
· Collaborate with a wide audience to drive consensus across them to support your team.
· Empower the delivery teams to self organize.
· Embody a customer-focused orientation and drive the same within the engineering team.
· Work with teams to understand and document system design, integration points, and dependencies.
· Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct manager
· Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
· 10+ years hands-on experience architecting, contributing to code bases, and successfully delivering customer facing software.
· 7+ years experience managing, mentoring, coaching, and leading senior and mid-level Architects, Managers, Engineers, and Software Test Engineers.
· 5+ years experience with AWS, GCP, and/or Azure Cloud
· Experience successfully leading distributed teams.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts in verbal and written forms.
· High tolerance to ambiguity and ability make progress in the face of it.
· Balanced business and technical background. Sufficient level of technical background to provide highly-credible leadership to technology teams. Ability to accurately and objectively evaluate complex risks and issues, and communicate these effectively to business stakeholders.
· Demonstrated track record of building scalable and fault tolerant solutions for customers.
· Broad understanding in all aspects of distributed systems development: OS internals and OS system engineering concepts, concurrency models, networking, general distributed systems concepts, and API development.
· Demonstrated experience making architectural transformations in an incremental fashion, while meeting business critical roadmap objectives.
· Expert knowledge of software engineering best practices.
· Ability to participate in the evaluation of the short and long-term implications of technical choices with respect to SDLC best practices, user functionality, application performance, and the potential accumulation of technical debt.
· Successfully achieved positive outcomes executing software engineering initiatives applying Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) in a pragmatic way.
· Proven track record of motivating teams, instilling accountability for high quality delivery.
· History of leading teams with varied release horizons and correctly implementing strategies that solve problems at the right level, taking into consideration all relevant factors.
· Experience in cybersecurity and intelligence
· Knowledge of application security practices
· Solid grounding in the technology of at least one operating system platform environment (Windows, Mac, Linux) – multiple is preferred
· Experience with container technologies
· Understanding of enterprise architecture standards (TOGAF, ArchiMate, etc.)
· Experience with DevOps tools for build, continuous integration, artifact management, configuration management, configuration orchestration, monitoring, and log management.
· Knowledge of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and natural language processing.