The goal of the Director of Business Development is to increase the revenue of the agency by bringing in new accounts. This position is responsible for the development and implementation of the business development plan, which includes: building the reputation of the agency, prospecting, lead generation, and leading pitch/proposal processes (qualification, strategy development, presentation/pitch management, proposal writing and follow up).
The Director of Business Development is also responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive marketing plan that would increase revenues and profits. This position is expected to uphold the mission and values established by the organization.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for:
- Overseeing the development and implementation of a strategic plan for agency growth,
- Establish and carry out departmental goals, policies, and procedures,
- Consult with other executives about the general operation of the agency, and
- Identify areas to improve performance, policies, and agency initiatives.
- Develops RP3 ’s overall new business strategy, along with further developing and expanding the full suite of the agency’s services and offerings as an agency.
- Builds and maintains a viable pipeline of prospective clients which includes qualified prospects based on the priorities established in the business development plan.
- Works alongside the Owners of the agency to target brands, clients, and highlighting RP3’s services to prospect and win new business. This includes developing a deep understanding of our capabilities, the state of our industry, and how to position us to win and succeed amongst our competitors.
- Manages the new business processes from start to finish, leads presentations/proposal/pitch process by effectively managing internal/external resources, and contributes to strategy development for pitches and other agency clients on occasion.
- Writes (or leads the writing of) RFI, RFP, proposal responses, and prospect communication. Ensures these documents and communication are error-free.
- Contributes to the Agency blog.
- Leads the process of transitioning from prospect to Agency client. Collaborates with the Account Leadership team on the scope of work development, contract negotiation, budgeting, resourcing, etc.
- Proactively targets and develops relationships with key industry prospects. Builds a relationship with prospects before RFPs are issued and throughout the pitch process.
- Maintains a strong focus on noticing gaps in the marketplace, and where the agency can fill them to seize new opportunities.
- Produces feasibility studies/business plans for new product development.
- Develops and maintains industry knowledge/best practices and performs market research and analysis.
- Develops marketing campaigns for new products and services. Oversees agency’s presence through social media channels and public relations. Leads the creation of all sales documentation, capabilities decks, pitch templates, proposals, and all related messaging.
- Oversees the agency website: maintains the content, ensures content is updated, and builds business cases on the website.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Attends networking events, and volunteers within the community. In addition, it performs public speaking to appropriate organizations and committees.
- Develops and maintains a win/loss report with detailed analysis and feedback to guide future pitch efforts.