Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability status in employment. Individuals of Indian ancestry will be given preference by law in initial employment or re-employment.
The Peewaalia Language Specialist is responsible for assisting with the preservation, expansion, and teaching of the Native Peewaalia (Peoria) Tribal Language.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect, analyze, interpret, translate, transcribe, and document language data and materials.
- Collaborate with the departments, community programs, and other entities to identify needs and resources to establish effective language preservation programs, projects, and activities.
- Identify a network of knowledgeable persons who are able to provide information of historical, linguistic, and cultural importance to help maintain a support structure of language resources.
- Assist in the development of appropriate and culturally acceptable research and preservation policies, practices, procedures, and methods.
- Provide support to Language Preservation projects, activities, presentations, and instruction.
- Attend project meetings, area seminars, and other meetings, as necessary.
- Compile and organize the Language into teachable components.
- Create a strong curriculum which the Tribe can use for teaching the Peewaalia Language.
- Develop the curriculum, create modules, and deliver instructions of the language.
- Travel as necessary for research and consultation efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics or have acceptable experience with the Peewaalia Language.
- A background in teaching/education is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to research and locate resources in a proficient manner.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and teaching.
- Tribal cultural knowledge preferred.
- Proficiency with computers and programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point, and Internet.
- Valid Driver’s License and Insurance.
Conditions of Employment:
The Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma operates a drug-free workplace.
- May be required to submit to and pass applicable drug test and background check.
- Adhere to all work rules, policies & procedures, and safety standards.
Position involves prolonged sitting, standing, stooping, or bending, lifting, or carrying up to 30 pounds on a daily basis. Work is generally performed in an office environment with varying levels of lighting, air quality, noise, and / or temperature.