About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates four K-8th grade schools. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
The Controller is responsible for overall management of all work in the general ledger, monthly bank reconciliations, yearly and monthly closeout activities, and monthly financial statements. The Controller will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer and/or designee.
The Controller ensures work is performed accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner. The Controller provides financial safeguards and ensures the organization is compliant with GAAP standards as well as state and federal financial regulations.
The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and/or designee, with whom the Controller collaborates to ensure fundamentally sound accounting operations and unfailingly accurate financial reporting.
The Controller’s key work streams are as follows:
- Financial and Accounting oversight
- Reporting and preparing for audits
- Coordination of Month- and Year-End Closing Activities
Financial and Accounting Oversight
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of FirstLine’s financial status
- Manages the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day financial activities including purchasing, invoicing/billing, accounts payable, cash disbursements, cash receipts, and fixed asset records
- Guides financial and accounting decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects and compiles a variety of special reports
- Designs, documents and implements policies, procedures and process to ensure accurate and efficient recording and processing of financial information
- Maintains the accounting information system, chart of accounts and electronic and paper records
- Oversees ongoing operations of school activity funds, including school level controls, transaction processing, and monthly reporting
- Annual and quarterly financial reports submitted to the state Department of Education
Reporting and preparation for audits
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of all financial reporting
- Prepare and present quarterly and annual compliance reports for review by the Chief Financial Officer and/or designee
- Coordination of Month- and Year-End Closing Activities
- Develops timely and accurate financial reports to the Chief Financial Officer and/or designee
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors
- Collaborates with the Chief Financial Officer and/or designee to develop budgets and forecasts
- Preparation of monthly financial statements
- Preparation of monthly budget to actual
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field required
- Four (4) years of non-profit/governmental accounting experience required; Charter school experience highly preferred
- CPA Preferred
- Commitment to FirstLine Schools’ mission and vision
- Achievement orientation with a focus on goals and results
- Initiative and drive for continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including strong writing skills
- Proficient with information technology
- Ability to represent the organization to a variety of audiences and to craft messages to meet various needs
- Commitment to work towards creating an organization that has healthy and sustainable working conditions while achieving a challenging mission within resource constraints
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Ability to manage multiple work streams and prioritize, strong time management skills
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders and exhibit strong service-orientation
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine values of Service, Learning, Collaboration and Results and Fun
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
CONTROLLER reports to: Chief Financial Officer or designee
How to Apply: Please Submit a Cover Letter and Resume as one file online via:http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.