Contessa offers a unique opportunity for individuals interested in being part of an organization that is leading the country in redefining the way care is provided to patients. Contessa’s Home Recovery Care model brings all the essential elements of inpatient care to the comfort and convenience of a patient’s home. The model enables provider organizations and health plans to deliver high-quality, safe and affordable care to patients with non-life-threatening conditions. At Contessa, you will have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of patients and be at the forefront of shaping a pioneering space in the health care industry.
Contessa Health’s Palliative Care at Home is a community-based palliative care program for adults with serious illness and their caregivers offered by Contessa, designed to provide coordinated, high quality, in-home palliative care to patients with advanced life-limiting illness and their caregivers. Patients will be eligible to enroll in the program if they have an advanced life-limiting illness and have needs which could be addressed by the program.
The full clinical team will comprise community health workers, APPs, nurses, social workers, chaplains, clinical pharmacists, and physicians. The clinical team will work in collaboration with patients’ other healthcare providers to provide high quality, evidence-based palliative care in the home, supported by robust guidelines and care processes. Additional in home services available to access include: other services to be offered, e.g. home X rays, labs, sonograms, EKG, & home specialties, e.g. podiatry, orthopedics, neurology, psychiatry, optometry.
The program is designed to improve symptoms and quality of life, reduce caregiver burden, and reduce unnecessary hospitalizations and ED visits.
We are seeking to recruit a dynamic and enthusiastic full-time registered Social Worker to work within the Palliative team. Their responsibilities will include:
- Assessing patients to identify psychosocial needs/acuity and opportunity for SW intervention based on case finding, patient needs, and referrals from care team
- Providing direct social work service to patients and caregivers by providing assistance with social and practical environmental problems
- Providing supportive individual and family counselling to reduce anxiety/stress and other symptoms precipitated by illness and hospitalization
- Maintaining excellent working knowledge of entitlements and resources needed for patient’s benefit
- Acting as therapist as needed with the patient and their family and providing individual counseling/problem solving sessions as needed
- Working closely with the rest of the clinical care team in developing and providing treatment to patients, including creating a comprehensive interdisciplinary plan of care that meets the patient and caregiver needs
- Working closely with the clinical team to help them process the emotional and psychosocially complex nature of the work
- Participating in the weekly IDT meeting, together with the rest of the care team
- Expected work schedule will be Monday - Friday, regular business hours with flexibility as required for patient needs.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited social work program
- Licensed as a LMSW or LCSW [or state equivalent] in New York
- ACHP-SW / APHSW-C, or expectation to become certified
- 3+ years of work experience, ideally with patients in their homes or acute settings
- Competence in management of problems experienced by patients with life-limiting illness
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- High empathy, ability to relate to patients and their families
- Previous experience working with a palliative care team
- Excellent communication skills and ability to connect with patients and caregivers
- Possesses the knowledge and skills to perform comprehensive social work assessment (including psychological, physical, economic, and spiritual aspects of care) and develop an appropriate care plan
- Experience and comfort working in home settings with patients and families, including those in difficult living conditions/environments
- Traits that include professionalism, a passion for palliative care, open and non-judgmental style, personal warmth, tact and patience with both professionals and patients and caregivers
- Good clinical judgment and the ability to work independently without immediately accessible policies and procedures
- Ability to balance the independence needed to work in the home (most often alone) with the collaborative spirit of a team player
- Ability to ask both open-ended and specific questions during telephonic encounters with patients, and communicate concerns with clinical team members in an effective and timely manner
- Positive commitment to being part of a home-based palliative care program
- Ability to embrace a concurrent and long-term palliative care philosophy and practice, particularly if already trained in the philosophy and practice of hospice or home health care
- Clinical experience coordinating and/or leading family meetings, discussion of advanced care planning, crisis intervention, grief, and loss as well as a working knowledge of entitlements and benefits
- Ability to deal with highly charged emotional situations related to patients with serious illness and their families
- Willingness and motivation to take responsibility for assessing and addressing patient and caregiver needs
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
Desirable Skills / Experience:
- Home care experience
- Palliative care/hospice experience is required
- Chronic illness management experience
Our team members are our greatest asset. That’s why you’ll find that Contessa has built a culture around trust, open communication, and a unified desire to change the way healthcare is being delivered. It’s important to us that you like your job, are motivated by the work you do every day and feel supported by leadership. Contessa offers a generous compensation and benefits package, a strong belief in a healthy work-life balance, and great opportunities for career growth.