Varies – weekends, holidays, and some week days and evenings as needed. Hours will vary by week, from no hours to 15-20 hours per week.
The receptionist supports the Seneca Park Zoo Society for the front office. Handles incoming calls, greets and directs visitors, and performs other general office tasks as needed. Hours may include weekend & weekday shifts, evening hours, and early morning hours.
• Create and maintain a positive and upbeat first impression for callers and guests.
• Answer the main phone line into the Zoo and direct calls accordingly.
• Provide accurate/current information to all guests and callers.
• Follow established Zoo protocols for issues like emergencies, first aid, lost & found items, and lost child.
• Use two-way radio to communicate with Zoo staff and supervisors.
• Verify and accept deliveries and notify recipient(s) of packages arrivals and vendors on site.
• Open and reply to reception e-mails.
• Schedule use of the Conference Center upon request.
• Sort incoming mail appropriately and distribute to other Zoo offices.
• Post outgoing mail and monitor when postal supplies are needed.
• Assist other departments as needed.
This position requires standing, sitting, walking, speaking, hearing, interacting with general public, guests, and staff. Will sit for extended periods of time. Some lifting and carrying less than 40 pounds.
Work is performed in enclosed areas. Due to Zoo’s hours of operation, some night and weekend availability for special events may be required.
• Minimum of a high school diploma or GED required.
• Possess excellent customer service skills - in person and on phone.
• Have ability to absorb and retain a wide array of details.
• Possess basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Office 365.
• Track record of remaining calm under pressure
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Ability to multitask
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
• Valid NYS driver's license required for use of golf cart to transport guests and/or materials, when necessary.