Codiak BioSciences is seeking an experienced Molecular and Cellular Biologist to join our growing team and help us to fully develop the therapeutic potential of exosomes. The candidate will serve as a core team member, providing molecular and cellular engineering expertise, to various project teams.
This position requires the ability to design and conduct appropriate experiments to test hypotheses, especially those related to expression construct design and stable cell line development for exosome engineering. The successful candidate will have excellent organization and communication skills, the ability to collaborate effectively, and an enthusiasm for problem solving and team working.
Primary responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Work with key stakeholders to design a range of DNA expression constructs that fit the project needs.
- Build upon existing infrastructure to help design, optimize, and characterize exosomes engineered in mammalian cells using transient and stable DNA transfection, and viral transduction.
- Work with both internal and external resources to enable protein/cell line/exosome generation in a timely and efficient manner.
- Help oversee junior scientists for training and troubleshooting
- Deliver on key milestones within defined timelines.
- Participate in, and present at, research group and project team meetings.
- Comply with laboratory safety procedures.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field, plus 2-3 years of experience in an academic or industrial setting
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Expert-level experience with molecular biology software (e.g. Vector NTI, Benchling) and ability to design DNA constructs with desired properties requested by end-users
- Extensive hands-on experience with common molecular biology methods, including DNA/RNA extraction and quantitation, plasmid preparation, restriction digestion, mutagenesis, Gibson-Assembly, Golden-Gate cloning, qPCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, bacterial transformation, and lentivirus production.
- Proficient in mammalian cell culture, transient and stable transfection, and RNAi.
- Experience with common biochemical and immunological techniques, including SDS-PAGE, UV/Vis spectroscopy, ELISA and western blotting.
- Experience with bright field and fluorescence microscopy.
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and critical thinking skills, and the ability to thrive in an interdependent and idea-rich environment.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Proven track record of driving research and platform technology development projects in nucleic acid, protein, viral, and cellular engineering, including library generation, screening strategies, cellular assay development, genome editing technologies, and novel cell delivery technologies.
- Knowledge of structural biology for structure-directed construct design.
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with genome editing technology (CRISPR/Cas9, ZFN, and TALEN), including gene targeting by homologous recombination, genotypic and phenotypic analysis, and genome wide CRISPR screening.
- Knowledge of cancer biology, neurology, and/or immunology