The NK Technical Support Specialist assists customers with all aspects of technical support, usage guidance, and problem resolution relating to NK’s sports, weather and shooting products. We believe that excellent service and support is a critical part of our brand reputation, and you will be empowered to ensure that our customers at all levels are successful and happy with their purchase. You will also be the front line for problem reporting to the product / engineering team and will assist in defining and testing resolutions to problems.
This is at-will employment. Boothwyn is located https://www.mapquest.com/us/pennsylvania/boothwyn-pa-282027784
• Provide prompt, courteous, knowledgeable and effective assistance to customers’ technical support inquiries by phone, chat and email.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of product catalog: features, specifications, applications, configurations and pricing, and provide product selection guidance to customers.
• Develop full working knowledge of, and be able to provide step-by-step support for, all functions of all of NK’s current products, including:
o Rowing and paddling timers and amplifiers
o Basic weather instruments
o Specialty weather instruments for firefighting, construction, agriculture and other applications
o Ballistics calculators for long-range shooting
o Supporting apps and software
• Travel occasionally to trade shows and competitions to provide field support and (basic) repair services.
Senior Level / Experienced:
• Assist customers in obtaining answers to their more advanced technical support issues and product concerns. Escalate issues as needed to Technical Support, Product Management or Engineering.
• Develop and apply knowledge of 3rd party apps, devices, and equipment that customers use in conjunction with NK/Kestrel products.
• Develop and apply knowledge of how our customers use the NK/Kestrel products to provide knowledgeable, insightful suggestions to improve their results and product experience.
Secondary Duties – Backup to Customer Service Team:
• Accurately enter and process customer orders and payments received via phone, fax, email and web using Sage 100 integrated business software.
• Set up new customers following standard procedures and update customer accounts as required.
• Confirm availability of stock, quote prices and shipping dates.
• Operate multi-line VOIP phone system: answering in-bound calls, transferring calls to the correct person or department, making public address announcements.
• On line responses to customers, chats and Social media communications.
• Perform all duties in a timely manner and maintain target productivity.
• Perform other related administrative duties as needed and requested.
• Occasionally attend trade shows and other events to support sales.
Personal Qualities for Success in this Job
You will be most successful working as a Technical Support Specialist at NK if you:
• Have the patience to handle difficult and repetitive questions.
• Are personally focused on accuracy and fixing errors in data where observed.
• Take personal satisfaction in providing excellent customer service.
• Possess curiosity and empathy for customers and their goals.
• Are able to work independently with limited direction and able to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with others in a team environment.
• Can think critically to solve problems for troubleshooting.
• Have good memory and ability to retain and recall facts and examples of similar issues.
• Have good “on-the-fly” computer research abilities to locate solutions if not personally known.
• Have a technical bent and general comfort level with mobile devices, computers, standard office software and other forms of technology.
• Work on a computer, sitting, for a full work day.
• Use computers, e-mail applications and specialized software proficiently.
• Enter data into computer systems quickly and accurately.
• Operate a phone system and take calls with a positive, professional, pleasant phone manner with clear diction and communication.
• Compose business emails using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Research and digest web-based information quickly.
• Retain and understand product details in memory and apply to communicate technical features.
• Help customers make informed product choices based on their expressed interests.
• Possess basic numerical, mathematical and currency proficiency.
Education and Experience
• High school degree or equivalent required, AA or BA degree desired.
• 2 years customer service experience.
• Data entry / data base experience.
• 1 or more years in a technical support role of any sort.
• 4-year technical degree
• Demonstrated advanced software proficiency
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Climate-controlled office environment. Must be able to sit for extended periods. May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. Must be able to use a standard or readily modified computer and phone system.
Hours of Work
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 5:00 pm. Some flexibility to set hours around office hours with collaboration of the customer service team. Overtime is limited but may be occasionally required.
Most training is on-the-job but opportunities for formal skills training may be provided on and off site.
Travel / Work Location
5% business travel as may be required to support local shows / regattas. 95% in Boothwyn, PA. Reliable transportation required.
Pay Rate / Non-salaried position
The hourly rate depends on prior experience, demonstrated applicable skills and education. Annual raises based upon individual growth and development and annual bonus based on individual and company performance.
• Fully paid employee benefits include medical, dental, short & long term disability and basic life / AD&D insurance.
• Voluntary contributory benefits include family medical, vision, supplemental life insurance for self, spouse and children, critical care insurance and pet insurance.
• HSA with employer contribution.
• 401k with employer match to 5% (begins after one year of service, fully vested).
• 9 paid holidays and 80 hours PTO.
• All benefits are subject to a benefit waiting period of approximately 90 days.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship. Security clearance is not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NK is an equal opportunity employer. NK conducts all employment-related activities in full compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and without regard to an individual’s age, color, sex, disability, marital status, national origin, citizenship, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or other legally protected category is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment and also applies to training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits and all other aspects of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position.
NK is known worldwide for its waterproof speed measurement, timing and audio systems for competitive rowers and paddlers, used by virtually every school and club program throughout the world from novices to Olympic medal winners. NK’s Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters are portable weather instruments used by firefighters, military personnel, farmers, hikers, meteorologists, sports teams and thousands of other people who need to know the conditions where they work or play. Our products ARE us - we design them, build them, sell them, and passionately stand behind them.
NK has been in business for over four decades and is still growing stronger. Working here offers excellent opportunities for personal and professional development as well as the fun and satisfaction of being part of a successful American business. NK is a Lean enterprise committed to American manufacturing and continuous improvement of our design, production, administrative and sales processes.
NK's facility (manufacturing plant and offices) is located in Boothwyn, PA, about 30 minutes southwest of Philadelphia. NK's work environment is informal and high-energy (and dog-friendly), and our employees' quality of life is important to us. We truly live the meaning of that “Teamwork” rowing poster found on the walls of so many businesses. Come try out for our team (no erg testing required).