Position Type: PRN
Department: Med Surg
The Unit Secretary/Telemetry Technician (USTT), under the direction of the Registered Nurse, monitors the cardiac rhythm of patients, performs clerical duties on the unit, acts as a receptionist, and performs other tasks as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform cardiac monitoring duties under the supervision of the registered nurse
- Communicate relevant information appropriately
- Demonstrate accurate and timely documentation of patient cardiac rhythms
- Perform clerical duties on unit
- Coordinate the flow of selected information within the Med-Surg Unit and between the Med-Surg Unit and other departments of the hospital to ensure efficient communication of patient needs and timely compliance with medical and nursing orders
- Responsible for the processing of all physicians' orders using computer order entry and MARs
- Act as a central resource regarding the procedures used to obtain services for patients
- Assist with ensuring patient and unit safety
- Demonstrate the professionalism necessary to function in the healthcare environment
- Demonstrate correct and safe technique in the use of equipment according to specific product information
- Follow appropriate procedure for obtaining and returning or cleaning/disposing of equipment and supplies
- Participate in economical utilization of supplies and ensure that equipment is maintained in a clean and safe manner
- Remain conscientious in regard to personal hygiene and comply with specific division/unit regulations
- Maintain positive working relationships within the department as well as other departments
- Work in a stressful environment successfully by maintaining composure and professionalism
Required Education, Experience and License
High School Diploma or GED
Completion of a state-approved Monitor Technician course
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
One year experience as Unit Secretary preferred.