Reports To: President
Location: Bismarck, ND
Date: August 2021
To direct the development team of TRMF to cultivate relationships to meet the Foundation’s current and long-term philanthropic goals. This position will require frequent travel to the Medora, ND for major donor engagement events and donor cultivation. The position may also require extensive travel to meet with donors.
- Leadership Responsibilities
- Create, and present to the Board of Directors’ Development Committee for recommended approval:
- Annual execution roadmap for the Development Team (strategic plan)
- Annual Development Calendar, including events
- Annual Development Budget
- Conceptualize and implement effective campaigns
- Integrate the development functions:
- Fundraising: Major, Annual and Legacy (planned and estate gifts)
- Marketing: website, campaign and presentation materials, graphics and copy, and data analytics and publications (newsletter, development report, etc.)
- Events: Rough Riders Roundup, Founders Society, Bully Spirit Award, Rod Tjaden Memorial Golf Tournament, TR Tour, Black Tie and Spurs, and any other regional and national donor engagement gatherings.
- Stewardship: receipting, reporting, promise keeping, compliance
- Create and maintain accountability culture for the Development Team by establishing and monitoring success metrics for individual Development Team members and the department as a whole.
- Optimize Board Development Committee as a resource to Development Team
- Manage 50 to 75 donor relationships annually for major gift opportunities
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- The Development Director will directly supervise Major Gift Officers, Business Membership, Grants Writer.
- Coordinate with CFO to ensure Development Department has excellent and timely back-office support for Stewardship: receipting, reporting, promise keeping, compliance
- Coordinate with Marketing to ensure Development Department as necessary website presence, campaign and presentation materials, graphics and copy, data analytics and publications.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed with the guidance of the supervisor and HR Director.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising strategies and principals.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of tax planning principals and techniques that favor charitable giving.
- Must have the ability to work independently and in partnership with others.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding TRMF information, guests and staff.
- Professional conduct must be consistent with TRMF values.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Proficient with donor software, Donor Perfect preferred.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or similar field required.
- Experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization highly preferred.
- Is able to communicate with passion and in a way that connects donors to TRMF’s vision, mission and values.
- Efficiency to operate Development Department 82% or better, i.e. cost of department is no more than 18% of recorded gifts on an annual basis.
- Department consistently has a minimum of 75 active gift requests (excluding annual membership requests).
- Meeting budget expectations for Annual, Major and Planned Gifts.
This position is in an office environment, but does require frequent travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. at times.
It is the policy of TRMF to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, TRMF will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.