Liberty Hill’s work is focused on Los Angeles County; however, we understand that what happens in L.A. influences the nation. In this historical moment, we believe it is especially important for Los Angeles to be a beacon of social justice nationwide.?
OUR APPROACH: Liberty Hill is a public foundation founded in 1976 to power social change from the ground up by fueling grassroots community organizing. Every dollar invested in community organizing yields a $90 return in community benefits through progressive policy change. We support organizers who are tackling injustice with our three-pronged strategy, involving:
Grant making - Liberty Hill’s unique approach to grant making ensures that social justice organizations that build power through grassroots community organizing, coalition building and partnerships, and advocacy have the resources they need to win campaigns and defend underserved communities. The Foundation also focuses on organizations led by and for most impacted by systemic injustice, largely low-income communities of color, because they are best suited to create their own solutions. With input from seasoned activists and policy experts, Liberty Hill awards grants to L.A.’s most effective grassroots groups. At the same time, our rapid response funds can move money fast in times of crisis or opportunity.?
Leadership Training - When it comes to fighting for justice, leadership matters. Through Liberty Hill’s Wally Marks Leadership Institute, we have provided hundreds of rising organizers and activists across Los Angeles County with tools and skills to help change themselves and their communities. With the Commissions Training Program, Liberty Hill prepares community leaders to serve effectively on L.A.’s many influential boards and commissions.
Alliance Building - Liberty Hill works at the intersections of philanthropy, grassroots organizing and public policy, forging powerful relationships and building coalitions between funders, activists and policymakers. Coalitions established by Liberty Hill have influenced everything from school discipline practices to environmental regulations.
In 2017, Liberty Hill launched the Agenda for a Just Future (AJF) to fight for our youth, our health and our homes with three focused campaigns. We believe we can stop incarcerating kids, ensure adequate affordable housing for every Angelino and end the oil drilling that sickens our region’s poorest communities.
As a member of the Communications Department, the Senior Manager, Public Relations, proactively and creatively advances the foundation’s public relations, marketing, and visibility initiatives. This experienced creative professional is responsible for executing the annual communications and marketing plan focusing on a combination of earned and paid media, event promotion, targeted outreach campaigns, and a content creation strategy across multiple digital and social media channels. Other roles include the implementation of a broad range of communications, marketing, media relations, and community engagement tactics that support strategic outreach and visibility goals.
The successful candidate will be responsible for executing and maintaining a robust communications calendar, as well as writing, publishing and gathering the human-interest stories that drive our work. S/he will work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders, representing the foundation at public and community events (once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted) and with media representatives. S/he will commit to learning about relevant issues to create messaging and collateral that drives awareness, engagement, and public support from core audiences.
PR & Marketing:
- Develop and execute public relations and marketing strategies that enable Liberty Hill to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Assist with the execution and management of a marketing campaign designed to target progressive Angelenos with a passion for social change.
- Manage all organizational social media accounts and strategy, including day-to-day posting, promotions, digital campaigns, partnership activations and other engagement opportunities,
- Work with CCO to execute PR and communications strategy for fundraising and program events (including press and VIP coordination, branding and event marketing, social media support, etc.)
- Provide communications and PR support to Liberty Hill grantees and partners as needed to support collaborative initiatives and amplify frontline stories.
- Manage speaking engagement outreach strategy and seek opportunities to pitch Liberty Hill experts for public speaking engagements and other public events to raise awareness of our work.
- Coordinate and manage a variety of Communications Department outreach such as photo and video shoots and other story-gathering activities with program grantees and partners.
- Work with CCO to identify PR opportunities and execute appropriate strategies to secure news coverage on major policy campaigns and grantee success.
- Maintain organizational media database; create and execute annual PR outreach plan.
- Pitch and position Op-Eds from Liberty Hill experts on issues related to our mission in L.A. County.
- Serve as content creator and storyteller—writing press releases, newsletter articles, blog and Web/social media content, event scripts, talking points, etc.
- Assist with planning and implementation of content strategies such as the development of a new Podcast, video series and other virtual events.
- Spearhead content development for collateral (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, reports) and provide copy-editing and proofing for all projects.
- Maintain an active story bank by working with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts to capture, curate, and organize content on an ongoing basis to support communications needs.
- Manage the production and content schedule for all Liberty Hill print and e-publications; and provide management of the editorial process, including fact-checking, printing and distribution.
- Work with Advancement team to oversee the development and distribution of donor outreach collateral, including fundraising appeals, e-updates and other materials.
- Work with colleagues to enhance communication skills and practices across the organization.
$70,000 - $80,000
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field.
- 5 to 7 years of senior-level work experience in communications, public relations and marketing, with nonprofit experience preferred.
- Excellent communications skills and extensive writing and editing experience in a variety of print and online media.
- Savvy social media strategist who can quickly grasp and synthesize complex information such as policy wins and create compelling and engaging content that tells a story.
- Proven ability to create compelling messages and human impact stories that inspire action.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Action-oriented problem solver willing to help yourself and others overcome challenges and roadblocks.
- Knowledge and experience working with media representatives, pitching and placing stories, and responding to media requests.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and LinkedIn.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Knowledge of Media Database Systems (Cision, Meltwater, etc.) management.
- Knowledge of content management systems such as WordPress/Drupal, customer relationship management and email marketing systems such as MailChimp.
- Strong team player with a positive attitude and willingness to work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Nonprofit experience required.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends for virtual events.
- Passion for Liberty Hill’s mission and work in Los Angeles.
- Existing working relationships with racial equity and social justice organizations in Los Angeles.
- Track-record of effective meeting facilitation.
- Has personal lived experience that directly relates to the role and responsibility of the position
- Is familiar with the concept of systemic oppression in America
- Is familiar with social and racial justice
- Manual dexterity for operating a computer keyboard, printer, facsimile machine, photocopier, calculator and/or ten-key adding machine.
- Ability to sit at a desk or conference table for extended periods of time within an office environment.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
Liberty Hill Foundation is not just an equal opportunity employer; we are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to support the incredible diversity of grassroots organizing across the country. LHF does not discriminate based upon race/ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, and any other characteristics.