Reporting to the Financial Operations Manager of this growing financial services company, the Senior Accountant is primarily responsible for leading and supporting all accounting functions within the Financial Operations team. The Senior Accountant will ensure that compliance deadlines are met, accounts are reconciled, and communication channels are open by delivering world-class service to internal and external clients of MidAmerica. The ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment is essential.
The successful candidate must have the knowledge and skills necessary to perform large, complex reconciliations and oversee compliance deadlines. This position manages federal and state-level compliance duties and ensures timely and accurate tax-related deliverables. The incumbent must possess the accounting acumen and leadership aptitude necessary to lead the Financial Operations accounting team with two Staff Accountants as direct reports. The Senior Accountant will have a thorough understanding of accounting principles and exceptional attention to detail. The ability to troubleshoot and recognize errors is essential to the role. This role has the opportunity to drive a significant impact on both the company and on our end customers.
Financial Operations Team Leadership
· Oversee two Staff Accountants, working closely with the Financial Operations Manager on performance and other personnel-related items.
· Monitor team performance, review the work of the two Staff Accountants, identify training opportunities, and provide coaching and feedback to improve performance.
· Develop strong relationships with key internal stakeholders such as the Corporate Accounting and IT teams.
· Build a strong working relationship with the Controller. Support ongoing corporate accounting functions such as billing and commissions.
· Play a leading role within Finance & Accounting, driving process improvements and settling for nothing less than repeatable, scalable reconciliations and other accounting procedures.
· Foster and maintain a culture of ownership, accountability, and compliance within the Financial Operations team.
· Demonstrate total transparency and maintain high standards of integrity.
Financial Operations Accounting Duties
· Lead Financial Operations reconciliation efforts for various accounts including, but not limited to Bank of America cash accounts to Relius record-keeping system, Bank of America cash accounts to Great Plains general ledger system, Relius record-keeping system to OneAmerica (AUL) custodian of investment assets
· Perform cash/general ledger account reconciliations on a routine cadence (daily, weekly, monthly). Research and resolve outstanding reconciling items in a timely manner.
· Lead efforts to build and maintain a strong compliance culture within the Financial Operations team and across teams; Maintain Finance & Accounting compliance calendar, process, and file 1099s and Form 945 annual returns timely and accurately, Escheat dormant accounts and outstanding payments, process federal and state-level tax payments timely and accurately, ensure proper controls are in place and operating effectively. Safeguard client and company funds, develop successful and effective working relationships within the team and with other departments. Meet all deadlines and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive financial information.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or another Finance-related field required.
Must have 1-3 years of experience as an Accountant in a small to mid-sized organization.
Experience with IRS compliance and other tax filings required.
Experience performing reconciliations and driving resolution of reconciling items required.
Team leadership experience with at least one direct report is a plus.
Detail-oriented with strong analytical, communication, and evaluation skills.
Experience with taking a hands-on, solution-oriented approach to problem-solving.
Experience interacting with senior management preferred.
Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and the banking system.
Superior organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work in a team environment.
Proficient in Excel and the willingness to learn new systems as required.
Benefits administration industry experience is a plus.
Familiarity with Great Plains preferred