Work for Good. Do you want a career with meaning and purpose? Children’s Home Society is one of South Dakota’s leaders in providing services to vulnerable children, women, and families.
As part of Children's Home Society, you will truly Work for Good every day—helping to change the world one day at a time, one child at a time, one woman, one family, one smile, hug, and heart at a time.
Children's Home Society at Owen School is currently seeking a Full-Time Classroom Teacher to reinforce learning in accordance with the organization’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
What You'll Do:
Your responsibilities as a Full-Time Classroom Teacher would include:
- Provide focused instruction in the content area of Fine Arts for all students, PreK to 8th Grade. This may include, but is not limited to; music, visual arts, drama, and dance.
- Collaborate with Art Classroom Teacher and Recreation Coordinator to plan and provide instructional tasks to extend student learning in the content area of Fine Arts.
- Collaborate with Classroom Teachers to plan and provide instructional tasks that are meaningful and related to learning goals in core subject areas.
- Communicate a high-level of expectation and clear learning goals to students.
- Adapt instruction to meet the needs of all students. Conduct on-going assessments for learning.
- Display enjoyment, humor, and enthusiasm for teaching and expect students to enjoy learning.
- Establish appropriate classroom rules and procedures that are clearly understood by all students.
- Participate in professional growth opportunities and demonstrate professionalism.
- Follow Agency and School policies and procedures, and support Agency goals.
- Report student progress through initial, quarterly, annual, and discharge reports in accordance with accreditation, licensing, and Agency standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What We'll Love About You:
- You are kind; showing kindness to students, colleagues, and all others around you.
- You respond effectively, tactfully, and with maturity in highly-emotionally-charged situations.
- You understand the needs of children and are able to listen to and communicate those needs.
- You are able to contribute as a team member and cooperatively and respectfully interact with others.
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 3:00 pm, year-round
Physical Demands and Work Environment: Must be able to physically restrain a child in ways taught by the Agency while being able to verbally communicate to the child and other staff. Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Compensation: Depending upon experience
- Health Benefits: Two health insurance options – Traditional Plan & High Deductible Health Plan with HSA. Vision. Dental.
- Additional Benefits: Group Life and AD&D. Short Term & Long-Term Disability. Additional Voluntary Life, Critical Illness, and Accident plans. Employee Assistance Program.
- Student Loan Payments & Tuition Reimbursement: Qualifying employees are eligible for up to $150 per month in Tuition Reimbursement or Student Loan Repayment.
- Paid Time Off: Generous PTO package. 10 paid holidays.
Experience/Education/Skills: Bachelor’s Degree in education and the possession of a valid South Dakota teaching certificate, with a Special Education endorsement or certification preferred. References that can depict level of interest in working with children with behavioral issues. Knowledge of and ability to use personal computers and software utilized by office.
Must successfully complete all required background/pre-employment checks. EOE/AA.