TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We are seeking a Director of Development to join our dynamic leadership team that is passionate about the work we perform. This role will oversee the day-to-day operations of the development team in the general areas of Major Gifts, Grants (Foundation, Public Agency and Corporate), Membership, Direct Mail, Tree Dedications, Special Events and Legacy/Planned Giving as well as manage technical support within the department, including prospect research and use of Salesforce. The position will manage the strategic and fundraising goals of the department and cultivate, expand, and maintain a personal portfolio of current and prospective donors. The Director of Development will represent the organization’s fund development interest to internal and external constituencies, achieve philanthropic goals and create opportunities to increase investments to propel the organization’s social impact.
- Participate with the CEO, Chief Financial Officer and the Board of Directors to develop, lead, and implement the organization’s annual and long-term development strategies, continuing to chart the organization’s course in fund development while ensuring that efforts are carried out in keeping with TreePeople’s values, mission, vision, and plans.
- Research, develop and grow a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of TreePeople that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors..
- Work with the Foundation Grants Manager to identify new family foundation donors, while nurturing and soliciting a personal portfolio of current and prospective major donors.
- Provide strong fundraising leadership and support to the CEO and board members, including helping to identify their resource cultivation goals and support needs, prospecting donors, and leading or participating in gift solicitation, as appropriate.
- Support the CEO in the identification, cultivation, stewardship and recruitment of prospective board members and major donors.
- Manage, develop, coach, inspire, and motivate a strong development and grants team.
- Provide general oversight of TreePeople’s development activities, overseeing operations and functions of the development team, and coordinating with the marketing and communications team, the CEO, program directors and the board development committee.
- Establish goals and metrics to evaluate implementation of strategy and tactics, and evaluate the overall effectiveness of the development program.
- Participate in revenue meetings to track progress of actual revenues to projections and goals and make recommendations for changes as needed.
- Coordinate ongoing annual giving and meeting annual fund development financial goals, including general accountability targets associated with these goals.
- Oversee the fundraising process and ensure systematic records of receipts and disbursements of funds.
- Collaborate with the leadership and marketing and communications teams to ensure consistent messaging and outreach strategies to raise awareness and understanding of TreePeople’s vision and social impact through virtual and in-person events.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends and best practices in philanthropy relevant to TreePeople, the Southern California region, equity and global climate change and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.