Cherokee Town and Country Club is looking for an Assistant Golf Course Superintendent at our Country Club which consists of 36 holes of championship golf set in the Chattahoochee River Basin. Both golf courses were re-designed by world renowned architect Tom Fazio. The Golf Course Agronomy Team works out of a state of the art turf care facility that sets the standard for the Green Industry. In addition to the golf courses, the Country Club features 15 acres worth of practice facilities including a driving range with four sets of tees and a three green, short game facility. The South Golf Course underwent a major renovation in 2016, converting the greens from bentgrass to Champion Ultradwarf and all of the bunkers to the Better Billy Bunker method. Both golf courses consist of Champion Ultradwarf greens, 419 fairways and roughs, TifGrand collections, and a combination of Zeon Zoysia and 419 Tees.
Job Summary (Essential Functions)
Assists in the day to day operation of the golf course. The Assistant Superintendent should be able to assist in the management of a large crew of full time, part time, and seasonal employees. The Assistant Superintendent should be able to serve as the Superintendent in his absence.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
- Ability to coordinate and perform product application
- Water Management
- An understanding of agronomics related to plant health and soil management
- An understanding and commitment to Environmental Management
- Mathematic, budgetary and computers skills
- Ability to perform golf course maintenance operational tasks
- An understanding of golf course equipment operation and repair
- Ability to manage diverse employee population
Golf Course Maintenance
- The Assistant Superintendent will assist the Superintendent in the daily planning and supervising of the staff; supervise/apply pesticides; calibrate sprayers/spreaders; irrigation scheduling, repair, and maintenance.
- Able to troubleshoot problems and have an eye for the details.
- The Assistant Superintendent is expected to observe golf course conditions and make suggestions.
- Assist in promoting and enforcing safety practices in accordance with the clubs policies and procedures, as well as local, state and federal regulations.
- Oversees the completion or responsibilities assigned to all employees and ensures the quality of all work performed. Maintaining proper playing conditions.
- Helps record all maintenance on the golf course.
- Helps insure that chemicals, petroleum and other products are used, stored, and disposed of in accordance with local, state and federal regulations. Maintains required records.
- Participates in course renovations, such as sod laying or removal, sprigging, tree and landscape projects.
- Monitor and recognize common turf disease, weeds and insects, suggest proper treatments.
- Assists in operation and maintenance of irrigation and drainage systems and helps maintain records.
- Ability to operate all golf course maintenance equipment.
- Monitor golf course irrigation needs and assist in irrigation repairs and irrigation scheduling.
- Learn and apply the complexities of golf course setup, hole location and tee marker location for daily play and tournament golf.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift at least 50 lbs. and work long hours outside in heat and humidity.
- Strongly encouraged to play golf, and have knowledge of the game, rules of golf and methods of play.
- Assist in training and instructing the golf course maintenance team on the safe operation of all equipment; comfortable speaking in front of large groups; ability to speak basic workplace Spanish.
- The Assistant Superintendent is expected to interact with members throughout the day; always carry him or herself in a professional manor; attend a monthly Green Committee Meeting.
- 2-4 year Turfgrass Management Degree or similar and the ability to obtain GA pesticide license within 6 months of employment
- Club experience (preferred)
Competitive health insurance, vision, dental, 401K, vacation, paid time off, paid holidays, uniforms, lunches, Georgia GCSA dues, GCSAA dues, local education, golf privileges.
Reports to: Golf Course Superintendent
Classification: Exempt $44,000-$48,000
We participate in Everify / Cherokee is a Drug Free Workplace
Our organization has partnered with Talent Plus, a company that develops scientifically validated selection and development tools to identify the natural talents of our prospective employees.
To complete your application, we ask that you complete the following online assessment. This assessment will enable us to better understand your unique talents and how they align with our culture. The assessment will take approximately 25-30 minutes to complete
Talent Assessment Link (https://prod-tbex.talentbankonline.com/TBEX/p/reg/cherokee)