In support of the mission to build a safe, productive, and sustainable workforce of craft professionals, NCCER produces print and digital training products for the construction industry. The NCCER curriculum gives individuals an opportunity to earn nationally recognized credentials in over 75 different craft areas. Our goal is to provide high-quality, rigorous training products that ensure the success of trainees.
NCCER is looking for a Desktop Publishing Manager used to a fast-paced working environment. The candidate Desktop Publishing Manager will work closely with our current Desktop Publishing Manager for a period of at least six months to acquire historical knowledge, master the DITA XML-based NCCER content specification system (NCS) used for production work, and understand current workflows. You will be a leader in a fast-growing, fun team comprised of passionate individuals focused on producing the best construction education materials.
The Desktop Publishing Manager will effectively collaborate with editors, technical writers, and project managers to create and maintain training products according to NCCER production standards and industry expectations, while maintaining deadlines.
The Desktop Publishing Manager will manage a small team of Desktop Publishing Specialists, create efficiencies in workflows, and develop and maintain best practices for the NCCER Desktop Publishing team.
You will need to demonstrate topnotch organization and communication skills to produce quality products for multiple simultaneous projects. You’ll work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where quality, creativity, and accountability are tradition. You will be leading a team of intelligent, talented individuals who are excited to grow in their roles and careers.
Major Job Duties
1. Supervises and trains Desktop Production Specialists to produce materials according to current NCCER specifications and layout standards.
2. Collaborates with Editors, Technical Writers, Art Manager, and Project Managers to prepare materials for publication.
3. Uses a combination of XML and InDesign to produce final material for publication.
4. Assesses, adjusts, and refines DTP workflows and processes for efficiency.
5. Works with content technology vendor to develop, test, and troubleshoot content specification capabilities.
6. Develops, maintains, and follows best practices for content organization through physical servers and a content management system.
3+ years of desktop publishing experience
- Effectively organize and maintain multiple concurrent projects
- Manage a small team to meet deadlines and product expectations
- Consistently deliver a quality product
- Flow with evolving assignments, deadlines, and immediate requests
- Work independently
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency with Macintosh operating system
- Proficiency with desktop publishing software (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Suite, Oxygen XML editor)
- Experience using a content management system is preferred
- Experience using XML-based content workflows is highly desirable
- Experience using Smartsheet is preferred