Position Type: PRN
Reports to: Cardiopulmonary Director
Summary/Objective: The Respiratory Therapist is responsible for providing Cardiopulmonary care services in accordance with specific physician orders, department policies and procedures, and hospital policy. The Respiratory Therapist administers respiratory care and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system, performs diagnostic tests of the cardiovascular and pulmonary system to aid physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of heart and lung disorders.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Maintains knowledge of the various methods of oxygen delivery, including the necessary equipment. Remains alert, assesses possible side effects to oxygen delivery.
2. Administers respiratory therapy treatments, and nebulized medications. Understands the purpose of each and the possible side effects associated with each.
3. Performs Chest Physio-Therapy involving percussion, postural drainage in order to loosen and mobilize secretions in the lungs and to clear the airway.
4. Sets-up and monitors mechanical ventilators and performs the critical care duties associated with the procedure.
5. Monitors patient to ensure adequate ventilation during Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
6. Performs arterial punctures to obtain arterial blood samples and understands the possible complications and contraindications associated with the procedure. The therapist will also perform blood gas analysis.
7. Performs Pulmonary Function Testing.
8. Follows departmental equipment maintenance, cleaning, sterilization and packaging procedures as necessary.
9. Documents all pertinent data in the patient’s medical record following the completion of any service, and reports the condition of the patient to nurse, physician or relief personnel.
10. Performs EKGs, sends reports to physicians who request them, and files reports with medical records according to department procedures.
11. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the differences in technique and treatment modalities as performed on patients of varying ages, including pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
12. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of oxygen concentrations and medication doses as they relate to patients of varying ages, including pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients.
13. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. Inspects and test respiratory therapy equipment to ensure that it is functioning safely and efficiently.
14. Maintains Department in a clean, neat and orderly condition.
15. Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Explains the purpose and procedure of treatments, tests and equipment to the patient and family. Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patient’s needs are met and that hospital policy is followed.
Required Education, Experience and License