TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
We are seeking an Urban Forestry Coordinator to join our Urban Forestry team in Riverside. This individual will assist with the development, implementation and expansion of our Community Forestry model that ensures a healthy urban forest, a living watershed and an increase in tree canopy coverage within the community of Riverside. This position will engage and organize community members by coordinating fun and meaningful community events such as tree plantings, tree distributions and other community greening projects.
- Conduct site assessments and support the development of detailed planting plans that include species and locations.
- Organize, support and lead community workshops and volunteer-led events, evaluate future opportunities and attend site visits.
- Recruit, train, supervise and support community volunteers with tree plantings, tree care and community greening projects.
- Support development and implementation of project work plans, including event scheduling, dig alert, tree sourcing and inspection.
- Conduct community engagement and draft outreach and educational materials to grow interest in volunteer event opportunities, urban tree canopy expansion and community-led tree care.
- Help manage and maintain vehicle, supply and equipment inventories.
- Gather, monitor and track data on tree plantings for reporting requirements and to ensure successful implementation of tree maintenance plans.
- Support contract and funder reporting requirements, including documentation and presentation of project deliverables, including photos and sign-in sheets, preparation of narrative summaries, and GHG calculations.
- Participate and represent TreePeople at meetings, fundraising, marketing, membership and volunteer events.
- Assist with TreePeople’s policy and research and public education initiatives including but not limited to climate and water resilience, urban heat island mitigation, urban cooling, urban forestry management plans, and equity.
- Other duties as assigned.