Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 45 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. We care deeply about improving lives and our communities. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and outstanding work environments.
What we’re looking for
Avesta Housing is seeking an organized team player to fill our need for the position of full time landscaper | snow removal hand crew in our Greater Portland locations. This position will provide routine and new grounds keeping services for our properties ensuring that grounds are safely maintained. In the winter, landscapers will plow, remove snow, shovel, sand and salt walkways.
POSITION SUMMARY: It is the responsibility of the Landscaper to perform routine and new grounds keeping activities for Avesta Housing. The primary functions of this position include but are not limited to; maintenance of existing property grounds, construction of new outdoor areas, and establishing a positive and productive working relationship with all departments while adhering to the organization’s Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Cut lawn using hand, power or riding mower and trim and edge around walks, flower beds, and walls.
- Landscape with flowers, grass, and shrubs, and maintain landscaping design and ensure plant survival.
- Apply pesticide to rid grounds of pests such as mosquitoes, wasps, ticks, and others.
- Apply water and fertilizer to enhance growth as needed.
- Rake leaves, remove debris, and trim shrubs and tree limbs as needed.
- Perform maintenance on equipment utilized in groundskeeping.
- Perform maintenance to landscape structures and hardscape walkways.
- Rake, mulch, sweep walkways, and prune grounds as needed.
- Ensure outdoor furniture, décor, and lighting is maintained and in good working order.
- Snow removal of walkways and entrances requiring the use of snow blowers and shovels.
- Ensure that grounds are safely maintained and in compliance with Avesta Housing standards.
- Coordinate and communicate with subcontractors as necessary.
- Follow safety procedures and report hazards promptly.
- Ensure cleanliness of all properties.
- Adhere to all applicable state, federal, and Agency rules, policies, procedures, including Fair Housing.
- Maintain resident confidentiality and good working relationships with residents.
- Embody core values of Avesta Housing at all times.
- Must value and foster an environment that ensures respect, support and safety for all members of the Avesta community, and actively promote the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from having a diverse and inclusive community.
- Ensure that all external common areas are kept clean in accordance with Agency policy.
- Recommend efficiencies or areas of improvement when relevant.
- Maintain good working relationships with residents and other staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver's license.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous landscaping experience preferred.
- Ability to make decisions and use sound judgement.
- Ability to pass criminal background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal English.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn new software as needed.
- Comfort with technology in general to work with Agency tools and systems.
- Flexible with work schedule; willing to work evenings, weekends and overtime.
Benefits: Excellent benefit package including employer paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.