Avesta Housing is a nonprofit affordable housing provider with over 45 years of experience as a leader in affordable housing development and property management in southern Maine and New Hampshire. Our organization is headquartered in Portland, Maine and currently has more than 98 properties and 2,700 apartments in its portfolio. We have a mission to improve lives and strengthen communities by promoting and providing quality affordable homes for people in need. We do this by focusing on advocacy, real estate development, property management, senior and assisted living, and home ownership. As a nonprofit organization, we care deeply about people – those who urgently need safe, affordable housing and those living in the homes we develop and manage. And we care deeply about our employees who work hard to support them. When it comes to our staff, we strive to create strong teams, meaningful career growth, and outstanding work environments.
What we’re looking for:
Our ideal candidate will share our passion for our mission while exemplifying our four core values of humanity, stewardship, relationships, and quality.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provide construction expertise within the Avesta Development division in all phases of design, budgeting and construction management for new developments, adaptive reuse, and major rehabs of existing housing developments.
Location: This position will operate out of our Portland office but will travel to our properties in Maine and NH
- As a part of the construction services team, support all Avesta divisions with Construction Management Services and Project Management.
- Collaborate with Development Officers (DO) and design teams during the design development and value engineering phases to ensure physical, operational, and code compliant installations meet project budgets.
- Act as an Owner’s Representative on assigned projects - monitor onsite construction activity, review submittals, manage change orders, review requisitions, track schedules, and provide regular updates to DO.
- Manage smaller renovation and rehab projects as assigned - develop scope of work, select contractors, execute RFP process, bid negotiations, final contracts, requisitions, as well as, managing construction oversight.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the Avesta Design Standards; act as a liaison between Avesta Development & Property Management to outside design consultants, ensuring consistency of standards and best construction practices.
- Integrate sustainable and efficient building materials, practices and strategies into new developments and rehab projects to provide a high level of resident comfort, minimize operational expenses, and extend the longevity of the organization’s real estate assets.
- Assist with due diligence and/or physical assessment of potential real estate acquisitions; including participating in site/building walks to assess physical condition, deferred maintenance, and capital needs.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of both regulatory and organizational policies and procedures, including those related to procurement, facilities and construction management.
- Serve as an escalation point for the maintenance team on complex facilities and building issues.
- Participate in and assist with the punch list and warranty process for developments.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with external partners.
- Maintain up to date industry knowledge in relevant areas of construction, building science, and energy efficient practices.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree or higher, LEED, PHIUS Cert., PM Cert preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ commercial construction, general contracting or project management experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience performing building evaluations or capital assessments.
- Experience in construction or renovation, and/or maintenance of multifamily developments.
- Knowledge of creating RFP documents including scope of work for rehabs and physical improvements.
- Experience with reading and working from construction plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of building life safety codes and ADA requirements.
- Knowledge of building science and sustainability practices.
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial construction systems and repairs.
- Understanding of means and methods of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and general repair.
- Ability to work with teams, make decisions and use sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and analyze complex problems and develop solutions.
- Knowledge of MS Office and technology skills.
Benefits: Excellent benefit package including employer paid health, dental, vision, 401(k) with immediate vested match, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, life, long and short term disability, paid holidays, paid parental leave, and generous earned time. Excellent working environment.