Reporting to the Controller of this growing financial services company, the Corporate Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for performing corporate accounting functions and plays a key role in the month-end reporting process. The Corporate Staff Accountant will ensure that financial reporting and compliance deadlines are met, accounting records are maintained, and communication channels are open by delivering world-class service to internal and external clients of MidAmerica. The ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment is essential. The successful candidate must have the knowledge and skills necessary to perform all corporate accounting functions and maintain corporate accounting records and support the Controller with any other duties as assigned. The Corporate Staff Accountant will have a good understanding of accounting principles and exceptional attention to detail. The ability to troubleshoot and recognize errors is essential to the role.
· Reconcile general ledger accounts monthly.
· Prepare month-end closing journal entries and post in Great Plains.
· Assist the Controller with the preparation of the month-end financial reporting package.
· Maintain a fixed asset schedule and record monthly depreciation expenses.
· Reconcile multiple corporate bank accounts monthly.
· Record daily operating bank activity in Great Plains.
· Process operating account deposits and post in Great Plains.
· Manage the accounts payable function, including recording invoices for payment, processing payments, and ensuring payment within terms.
· Prepare Daily Cash Position and weekly Cash Forecast files.
· Assist Controller with annual financial audit, annual budget preparation, and other ad hoc reporting requests from Management and Executive team members.
· File VEBA/990 forms timely and accurately.
· Support tax and other key compliance areas as needed.
· Perform and support participant and employer fee billing process, including collections.
· Assist with Financial Operations accounting functions as needed.
· Maintain a culture of accountability and compliance within the Finance & Accounting department.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
Must have 3-5 years of experience as a Staff Accountant in a small to mid-sized organization.
Familiarity with Great Plains preferred.
Experience performing general ledger account reconciliations.
Detail-oriented with strong analytical, communication, and evaluation skills.
Experience with taking a hands-on, solution-oriented approach to problem-solving.
Current knowledge of GAAP accounting principles.
Superior organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work in a team environment.
Proficient in Excel and the willingness to learn new systems as required