Position Type: PRN - AS NEEDED
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Department: Clinical Laboratory
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for collection of blood and other specimens from patients of all age groups, using various phlebotomy with needle, syringe, and vacutainer systems; capillary puncture with lancets and microtainers. With proper training and experience may perform certain “waived” lab procedures as directed. The Laboratory Assistant performs a wide range of clerical duties including billing, obtaining ABNs, communicating with physicians and their office personnel, typing, referring and receiving specimens, filling, faxing, copying, and using the telephone.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Performs quality control on waived tests as directed.
2. Completes all competency documentation programs satisfactory including proficiency testing.
3. Sets up blood and urine cultures with proper identification, proper culture media, and proper techniques.
4. Enters data into the LISS/HER computer program correctly and consistently.
5. Collects blood specimens from all age groups, using approved techniques and from authorized anatomical sites only.
6. Takes specimens, after collection or receipt in the lab, to the proper work stations.
7. Performs preliminary processing steps on specimens using the various centrifuges and otherwise stabilize specimens.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of proper specimen requirements.
9. Correctly identifies the patient prior to obtaining blood specimens.
10. Honors patient’s rights to privacy and confidentiality.
11. Follows hospital and departmental safety policies and procedures.
12. Phones, faxes, mails, copies, and charts reports promptly and accurately.
13. Performs all billing procedures with efficiency and proficiency.
14. Files reports and keeps filling system current.
15. Orders weekly supplies for the department and promotes cost containment by efficient use of supplies.
16. Demonstrates the ability to perform specific competencies as listed on the competency procedures for this job description.
17. Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Education, Experience and License
High school graduate or equivalent with some college is desirable.
Typing skills and good manual dexterity required.
Preferred Education, Experience and License
Certified phlebotomist preferred.