Position Type: PRN
Reports to: Charge Nurse
Med Surg - Nursing Supervisor
Director of Nursing
Department: Med Surg
The Registered Nurse (RN) will be clinically competent while delivering care to patients in the Med Surg Department utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation and evaluation. Will effectively interact with patients, physicians, significant others and other health team members while maintaining all standards of professional nursing. RN will collaborate with physicians and multidisciplinary team; providing physical and psychological support to patients. Promotes and restores patients’ health by completing nursing process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrate appropriate assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the patient's care, as evidenced by client/staff observation and respond appropriately.
- Assess the patient: collect and document the patient's current health status and medical history.
- Complete and/or review Admission Data Record as defined by policy.
- Make accurate assessment of patient's status and respond appropriately.
- Give a thorough, concise report at change of shift. Communicate pertinent information to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate accurate and timely documentation according to form guidelines.
- Demonstrate correct and safe technique in the use of equipment according to specific product information.
- Follow appropriate procedure for obtaining and returning or cleaning/disposing of equipment and supplies.
- Participate in economical utilization of supplies and ensure that equipment is maintained in a clean and safe manner.
- Adhere to administrative system/nursing service policies as evidenced by Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to care for patients with PICC lines, Central Lines and PIV’s
- Must be able to monitor Telemetry patients, and recognize lethal arrhythmias.
- Must administer and be current, confident and knowledgeable of medications based on age and clinical condition of patient.
- Remain conscientious in regard to personal hygiene and comply with specific division/unit regulations.
- Attend 50 % of General Monthly Nurses Meetings as well as Departmental meetings.
- Comply with specific system/division/unit policy and procedure concerning safety including all aspects of patient care in Med Surg that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors. Always support and maintain a culture of safety and quality.
- Collaborate with other nurses and health team members to ensure the patient's wellbeing as evidenced by staff/client feedback.
- Maintain positive working relationships within the department as well as other departments and physicians.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment successfully by maintaining composure and professionalism.