The telephone operator is responsible for answering multi-line telephone, triaging calls, taking messages, and scheduling appointments. The telephone operator serves as a liaison between caller and medical support staff.
Summary of Essential Duties: (*Essential Functions)
- Operates multi-line telephone, ensuring that all calls are channeled to, and responded by the appropriate personnel
- Effectively communicate with patients’, physicians and other staff both within the Clinic and at outside facilities providing accurate, timely, and responsive information
- Responds to caller’s requests, referring to alphabetical or geographical directories to answer questions and provide telephone information
- Provides information regarding inquiries in a professional manner.
- Ensures efficient telephone communication.
- Utilize computer to obtain pertinent information.
- Actively listens to patients and other callers to ensure the patient/caller will have a positive experience in our office.
- Serves as a liaison between patients and medical staff.
- Operates telephone system to advance and complete connections, including those for local, long distance, pay telephone, mobile, person-to-person, and emergency calls
- Schedules appointments
- Makes reminder calls for scheduled appointments
- Make recalls for patient needing follow-up medical care
Job Specifications: (Knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience normally required for competent performance)
Education and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of filing systems and medical terminology
- Vocational training in Office Administration, preferred
- Must have minimum of 1-2 years or more clinical experience as a Operator
- Knowledge of NextGen Electronic Health Record (EHR) system preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience with customer service and multi-line phones
- Bilingual and Bi-literate Spanish/English Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiar with Medical Terminology
Licensure and Certifications