Sign on Bonus $1,500
Housing Resources available
Some relocation costs may be covered
Functional Academics Classroom Assistants assist the Classroom Teacher in meeting the instructional needs of students with moderate to severe disabilities in the classroom and community as part of their school day. They assist in the design and preparation of instructional materials and in planning and implementing various functional activities in accordance with students’ Individual Education Plan (IEP). They provide direct supervision and monitoring of students and work on an individual or small group basis.
SUPERVISOR: Department Supervisor
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets department standards for attendance and arrival, and staff meetings & trainings.
- Complies with school policies and procedures.
- Assists teacher in preparation of instructional materials and classroom visuals for student and instructor use.
- Conducts instructional exercises assigned by the teacher; works with individuals or small groups, adapting to students’ individual, medical, physical, communicative, instructional and emotional needs.
- Participates in direct service planning and lesson planning with Classroom Teacher and/or in a team approach.
- Informs the teacher of special needs that arise or problems with individual students.
- Participates with student data collection, documentation, and interpretation.
- Provides individual student accommodations in accordance with student IEPs.
- Helps with inventory, care and maintenance of equipment.
- Assumes responsibility for the supervision and instruction of students in the absence of the classroom teacher.
- Assists students with physical disabilities according to their physical and/or medical needs.
- Assists student, as needed, with personal needs that may include feeding, toileting and personal hygiene.
- May be delegated medication administration or certain medical procedure responsibilities.
- Escorts and monitors students to and from the classroom and other various activities (lunch, therapies, etc.).
- Implements behavior management plans for individual students under the direction of the teacher.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Maintains a professional appearance in accordance with The Learning Center’s policy.
- Contribute to the growth and development of employees and the department through active participation in staff development activities and meetings.
- May be required to drive students on field trips and/or to mainstreaming classes. Additional driving responsibilities as needed.
- May have opportunities to participate in student organizations and after-school activities, with approval from supervisor.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Classroom Teacher.
- Use proactive strategies to address student behaviors, including crisis communication and de-escalation strategies. Training will be provided during work hours.
- Ensure the safety of all students at all times. This may include evasion, escort, time-out, and restraint, following proACT training procedures.
Must be physically able to perform all duties of the job including restraining assaultive students when necessary, pursuing running students and participating in sports and recreation activities with students. Job may also included prolonged standing, frequently lifting up to 50 pounds, pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, twisting, reaching above shoulder level as well as reacting quickly to minimize escalating behavioral outbursts.
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
**TLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all employees and applicants for employment are afforded equal opportunity in every area of hiring and employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender identity, age, criminal record (inquiries only), handicap (disability), mental illness, retaliation, sexual harassment, sexual orientation, genetics, active military, and any other legally protected characteristic.
**TLC embraces and celebrates a spirit of inclusion and diversity, and reasonable accommodations and modifications will be made whenever possible.