This position supports the Provider (physician or mid-level practitioner) in the delivery of patient care, helping to assure timely, patient-centered care.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare exam rooms for patient visits, anticipating patient and provider needs by assuring the room is clean and equipped with the necessary equipment and supplies
- Review patient charts to identify any special needs or missing information
- Call patients from the waiting room and escort them to the exam room
- Take and record patient vital signs (scribing)
- Confirm medications and key elements of medical history, document any changes
- Assist the Provider with the exam as directed
- Document services provided for billing purposes
- Do diagnostic procedures as assigned
- Document care delivered and treatment plan prescribed
- Provide patient education as directed
- Pull medication samples as prescribed
- Perform phone triage duties including documenting calls and messages
- Give injections as prescribed; including immunotherapy per protocol
- Review diagnostic tests by outside providers; document in the medical record and alert provider to positive results; notify patients of diagnostic results per protocol
- Assist in obtaining prior authorizations for medications and services ordered by the Provider
- Provide strong team support in all Medical MA assignments
- Assist with training new staff; attend staff meetings as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
OSHA Category 1 exposure to blood, bodily fluids, or tissue.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Possession of the clinical expertise and knowledge necessary to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Experience with allergy and asthma diagnostic procedures, ordered treatment, shots and related clinical terminology and documentation.
- Must be a self-starter with a positive, service-oriented attitude, and the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
Graduation/Diploma from an accredited medical assistant program. High school diploma or GED
Preferable two plus years of Medical Assistant Experience.
Be able to complete AAAI administered clinical study guides and pass exams on clinical issues involved in Allergy and Asthma care.