Do you have a vision for what active transportation will look like over the next ten years? Are you eager to lead a talented team of transportation professionals as we plan, design, and implement human-centered transportation in support of great communities? Do you enjoy big picture strategic thinking and leading teams, pursuing and winning work, and exceeding client expectations? Are you passionate about nurturing the next generation of leaders? If so, then we have a tremendous opportunity as Office Director in Toole Design Group’s Portland office.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, our mission is to help our clients create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. We work for clients and communities of all sizes across North America, helping to transform their transportation systems while improving safety, quality of life and sense of place. Our staff of 175+ transportation professionals are passionate about advancing the state-of-the-practice and making a difference. The pace is fast, and our team is nimble and creative. You will lead a talented local team of planners, engineers and urban designers working on exciting projects across North America, and collaborate with other offices in the U.S. and Canada.
As Director of our Portland office, you will lead our talented team of professionals and serve as a liaison with our company leadership. Fostering a positive culture and healthy morale while maintaining a productive work environment are integral components of this role, as is managing, mentoring, and recruiting new staff. You will pursue and win work and oversee staff project performance.
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds and disciplines come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We are proud of the fact that over 50% of our managers are women or minorities. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are excited about projects that transform communities into healthier and more vibrant places to live, work, and play
• You like to push the envelope and advance the state of the practice
• You excel at motivating and mentoring people and teams with diverse areas of focus and expertise
• You enjoy pursuing and winning work
• You enjoy collaborating across disciplines and offices to do great work for clients
• You take initiative and deliver high-quality work on time and on-budget
• You know how to get key messages across, whether in written, verbal, or graphic form
We’ll offer you:
• The opportunity to lead one of Toole Design’s most exciting offices in one of the best cities for active transportation in North America
• Competitive salary and industry-best benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
Toole Design’s Portland office is in the heart of downtown, just three blocks from the river, and across the street from one of Portland’s food cart hubs. Our airy office space offers views of downtown and the river, and our building includes a secured bike room with showers and a small fitness center. The office is easily accessed on foot, by bicycle, and via bus or light rail.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please click "Apply for this Job" below or visit our careers page and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website, follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn, or like us on Facebook.
• Degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design or similar field
• A minimum of ten years of experience in transportation
• Experience managing and mentoring staff
• Experience pursuing and winning work that is competitively bid
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience in consulting is a plus