COVID-19 VACCINE IS REQUIRED FOR THIS ROLEIf an offer is made, a COVID-19 Vaccine series must be completed by October 18th or first day of employment which ever is later. Medical and/or Religious exemptions will be assessed if needed by the applicant. Our COVID-19 Vaccine Policy can be found by clicking here on the COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement tab
$1,000 Sign On Bonus
The Bilingual Advocacy and Outreach Specialist is responsible for supporting, and advocating for survivors of domestic violence with an emphasis on serving Latinx survivors. Working closely with the program director, this position provides leadership in SafeChoice to ensure that advocacy services are equitable and staff are knowledgeable in providing culturally responsive services. This position provides culturally specific outreach and community education about domestic violence dynamics.
- Proactively maintain yearly domestic training requirements as required.
- Be present for and appropriately participate in staff meetings as required.
- Establish and maintain a record of impeccable dependability with regards to punctuality, following call-out procedures, and adhering to the policies, practices, and guidelines set by the organization and SafeChoice.
- Ability to be flexible with the schedule and day-to-day tasks, and prioritize appropriately.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanor while working in a high-stress and unpredictable environment, including flexibility in last minute shift coverage changes.
- Maintain appropriate personal/professional boundaries with participants and co-workers to maintain clear, open, and unbiased lines of communication.
- Gain approval for, track, and engage in activities that meet the 1% for social change requirement.
Direct Services Advocacy
- Provide bi-lingual support and empowerment-based, domestic violence advocacy in English and Spanish.
- Provide onsite advocacy services on a walk-in and appointment basis.
- Provide mobile advocacy, meeting survivors in the community in order to best meet their needs.
- Provide support to participants who are filing protection orders.
- Provide assistance in obtaining services for participants with immigration issues in the context of domestic violence.
- Respond to survivors on domestic violence hotline calls.
- Utilize strong de-escalation and empowerment skills to best support survivors and families impacted by domestic violence and to minimize the effects of secondary trauma.
- Provide culturally responsive advocacy that honors the lived experiences of every survivor accessing support services. Effectively communicate available resources that support cultural values, beliefs and customs.
- Connect participants with relevant community resources to address needs related to domestic violence, including domestic violence education, domestic violence protection orders, safety planning, housing, and financial assistance.
- Serve as a primary contact for community partners that provide Latinx specific services, and provide culturally responsive domestic violence advocacy to survivors who prefer to work with a Bilingual Advocacy Specialist.
- Effectively and respectfully work with people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs.
- Facilitate domestic violence support groups.
Community Education and Outreach
- Maintain ongoing relationships with community partners serving the Latinx community.
- Manage and attend community events to support outreach and education efforts.
- Promote public and professional awareness of domestic violence.
- Co-facilitate trainings and conduct presentations on domestic violence, oppression, dynamics of intimate partner violence, and cross-cultural advocacy for staff, volunteers and community partners. This requires the ability to:
o Communicate clearly and effectively with groups of five to fifty.
o Train on difficult topics, such as privilege, oppression, and social justice in a respectful and empowering way.
o Present information in a way that engages multiple learning styles and needs.
o Address questions and concerns in a clear, professional, and compassionate manner.