Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, WESTAF (Western States Arts Federation) is a nonprofit organization that weaves together technology, thought leadership, and innovation to energize, network, and fund public sector arts agencies and communities. One of six regional arts organizations in the U.S., WESTAF provides advocacy, policy, arts programming, and professional development services to the arts agencies in its 13-state region. WESTAF has taken an entrepreneurial approach to the needs of the field by developing web services for the arts, culture, and the creative economy and serves arts organizations and artists in every state. The income generated from its web services enables WESTAF to elevate the arts and culture field through a number of initiatives.
Summary of Position
The Devops System Administrator is responsible for WESTAF’s high-level information technology needs, its security, and the hosting and monitoring of its cloud infrastructure. This position will contribute to the fulfillment of WESTAF’s 10-year vision and strategic plan in areas related to operational excellence, ensuring the fulfillment of office operations and cloud infrastructure needs of program-focused work. The System Administrator will be the cloud infrastructure expert for WESTAF’s Software as a Service (Saas) applications, advising, maintaining its infrastructure, and supporting data processes. This position will work closely with the director of technology to meet the needs of the SaaS solutions that do not require 24/7/365 support and document knowledge and learned practices to assist the technology team and its vendors in growing the retention of knowledge in the organization. This position will also be the system administrator lead for execution on PCI compliance and monitoring best practices. They will use modern techniques and standards to aid in the execution of data privacy and compliance of WESTAF’s internal and external infrastructure.
- Understand the company’s technical vision and provide input on the development of strategies, goals, and technical policies to ensure technology at the organization runs smoothly and effectively.
- Manage daily administration of AWS Cloud-based Web and Database systems, WordPress sites, and document and train technology team members on basic administration tasks.
- Perform server modifications and system administration tasks, including but not limited to data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Manage development/stage and production environments for select systems and administer and manage development environments for all SaaS systems. Work with external vendors to co-collaborate on system administration.
- Execute tasks to follow PCI compliance best practices.
- Automate/script routine administration processes, including CI/CD pipelines and data import processes.
- Monitor changes and trends in the technology sector with a focus on AWS, systems administration, and office technology.
- Act as a steward of WESTAF’s technical team and ensure technology department standards are carried out through technical operations and development (internal or external).
- Ensure current systems architecture and implementation of solutions match the patterns established by the department director and work toward continuous improvement.
- Create and employ changes and updates in support of risk mitigation; follow risk mitigation processes.
- Evaluate the software development and integration work processes and best practices and implement changes to streamline operations.
- Enable and assist in helping the business grow, including the identification and advisement of new technology opportunities and cost savings.
- Proficient in Amazon Web Services hosting and monitoring
- Understanding of existing and emerging technologies
- Linux system administration
- Bash scripting and DevOps techniques
- Solution-oriented mindset with attention to detail
- Collaboration and documentation
- Willingness to learn
- Managing rapidly-shifting priorities
- Emotional intelligence
- Communicating complex issues and technical concepts to a variety of audiences
- Strategic thinking
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability to work with AWS EC2, RDS, Route 53, ALB and other emerging AWS and AWS marketplace technologies
- Knowledge of GCP cloud-based services and APIs
- Administration of SIEM and network-based IDS
- Willing to study for and take the AWS Solutions Architect and Security+ certification within six months of employment
WESTAF offers a competitive benefits package for all full-time employees, including:
- Employer-paid health insurance
- Employer-paid life and disability insurance
- Dental insurance partially subsidized by employee
- 401(k) with up to 5% match
- 37.5 hour work week
- Generous vacation and sick leave
- 14 paid holidays
The salary range for this technical specialist position is $70,000 to $95,000. Starting salary will be established based on the skills the candidate will provide to achieve the essential and preferred functions.