In the first years of the 20th century, Isabella Stewart Gardner developed a new context for art in America by creating a place where visitors experienced music, performance, the beauty of gardens, and exceptional artworks spanning many centuries and regions of the world, all in a highly personal setting. The Gardner Museum continues to enrich the permanent collection and provides ongoing inspiration for visitors the world over. Join our dedicated, talented team of employees who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission.
The Associate Registrar of the Collection is accountable for the execution, coordination, and documentation of object movement, collection projects, core collection information, collection storage, and inventory management.
Digitization and Special Projects
- Facilitates planning, coordination, and execution of collection photography in support of a comprehensive digitization campaign
- Collaborates with the project manager of capital projects on planning, budgeting, coordination, and execution
- Manages, plans, and executes temporary displays for special events and special projects
- Oversees resolution and assignment of core collection inventory numbers in the collection management database (EmbARK by Gallery Systems) utilizing primary source and secondary source collection records to research institutional provenance of the collection
- Leads inventory projects in the galleries and art storage including location tracking, temporary number assignment, and identification and reconciliation from previous inventories. Determines appropriate display location within the museum
- Coordinates and schedules collection movement with art handlers; records art movement in the collections management database and create object removal labels
- Collaborates on the creation and management of collection care and management policies
- Manages collection storage spaces; collection audits; and collection study appointments for scholars, artists, and insurance appraisers
- Maintains schedule for artwork appraisal and liaise with appraisers
- Handles collection objects using AAM approved guidelines in support of collection projects