Tailwind Technologies Inc.
Tailwind Technologies Inc. is the parent company of Hartzell Propeller and Hartzell Engine Technologies. The corporation is organized to facilitate growth, both organically and through acquisition of additional operating companies. These are held as subsidiaries and operate as stand-alone businesses. All of the entities are held privately by brothers, James W. Brown III and Joseph W. Brown. Tailwind Technologies Inc. has a long and steady track record of profitable growth, dating to the acquisition of Hartzell Propeller in 1987.
Hartzell Propeller Inc.
Hartzell Propeller Inc. is a world class engineering and manufacturing company offering the broadest range of propeller systems in the aviation industry. We design, develop, test, manufacture, and support constant-speed aluminum and composite propeller systems for all categories of aircraft, ranging from general aviation to military applications.
The company traces its history to 1914, where a relationship between Orville Wright and Robert Hartzell led to the manufacture of the first Hartzell propeller in 1917. The company was founded on the principle of "Built on Honor" – a clear and abiding value in our business.
This position is responsible for the supervision of the Aircraft Applications/aerodynamic engineering group. This position works closely with the sales and design engineering group and external customers, in an effort to specify the integration of propellers to aircraft. The group performs aerodynamic and structural design of propellers, provides aerodynamic performance and noise predictions, and in-flight strain measurement testing of propellers. This position requires an understanding of general aviation aircraft, aerodynamic principles, propeller loads and stresses and FAA STC ODA procedures.
1) Efficiently and professionally communicate and coordinate projects within Hartzell and external customers
2) Supervise Hartzell aero engineers and STC ODA personnel
3) Participate in design reviews and review of technical data and reports
4) Support and recommend upgrades and improvements to analytical tools and methods
5) Communicate with internal & external customers regarding design, configuration and installation of propellers.
First Year Success Factors
1) Learn the capabilities of various Hartzell analytical tools (aerodynamic performance, flight test data reduction, noise, stress testing, and propeller controls, etc.)
2) Manage a large number of concurrent project assignments
3) Learn the Hartzell product line and internal technical data systems
4) Obtain a small aircraft private pilot license
BS in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering with 10+ years of experience is required. Have experience managing specialized teams from within and outside the company, while working multiple concurrent programs is required. FAA DER or Unit Member experience is desirable, but not mandatory. Airplane pilot experience and knowledge of General Aviation aircraft is highly desirable.
1) Excellent managerial skills
2) Facilitate interdepartmental program requirements
3) Understanding of general aviation aircraft
4) Knowledge of FAA certification regulations, i.e. 14 CFR Part 23 and 35
5) Knowledge of low speed aerodynamics
6) Proficient Computer Skills (MS-Office minimum)
7) Excellent communication skills: verbal, written, and presentation
1) Adaptability – Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in the work tasks or the work environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures.
2) Builds Strategic Working Relationships – Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
3) Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learning through their application.
4) Developing Others – Plans and supports the development of individuals’ skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
5) Innovation – Generates innovative solutions in work situations; tries different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
6) Manages Work – Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Competitive compensation & benefits package