The San Francisco Conservatory of Music is looking for an editorial content manager, who will serve as a strategic content writer, editor, strategist, and producer, reporting to the Director of Communications.
- Writing – Generates original news/feature stories of faculty, students, and alumni, plus Buzzfeed-style blog posts that raise the SFCM brand
- Collaborates with Associate Director of Digital Content and Social Media, Photographer/Videographer, and Director of Communications on web stories, social media content and video creation, overseeing storyboards, scripts, and talking points for videos that express SFCM’s brand
- Supports and manages web content creation including but not limited to web copywriting and editing
- SEO – writes blog posts using trigger words that get SFCM in the Google answer box for prospective students, and map audience segment needs (e.g. prospective students, alumni, donors, etc.) to keyword strategy so that content ranks higher on the SERP. Work with Senior Associate Director of Marketing and Digital on SEO optimization via website metadata and title tags. We want to win search here
- Supervises contract writers and student assistants who also produce content
- Helps manage the editorial calendar to create a diverse array of new stories and coordinates with colleagues on content production that celebrates the successes of SFCM by taking existing pillar content (a press release, recording of a concert, video of a masterclass, PR coverage in national outlets) and leading and coordinating teammates to extract/create and distribute microcontent across channels (what goes on the website, in the email, on Instagram, on Facebook, and on Twitter that all directs back to that pillar content)
- Generates new content ideas as well as leads the team in brainstorming new content ideas and then oversees the execution of those ideas
- Ensures consistent institutional brand and voice across all channels, i.e. no matter what content is produced and on what channel it’s distributed (email, social media, website, video, blog, etc.), the voice consistently adheres to brand guidelines and standards
- Evaluates success of past produced content – working with Associate Director of Digital Content and Social Media to pull Google Analytic reports for site traffic sources, SEO evaluation, pulling and analyzing social media campaign analytics
Copywriting & Editing
- Partners with colleagues to provide copy editing for individual department’s news releases, critical eblasts, and special projects to ensure a unified brand voice across all public email blasts
- Assists with copywriting for brochures, print materials, and partners with Admissions and Advancement to develop a unique voice and tone for their audiences
- Helps with website copy editing. Need to be able to meet with faculty and department heads, hear what they want with an understanding of classical music, and then translate the academic- or musical- specific language to public-facing copywriting
- Contributes to traditional print and outdoor copywriting and advertising — media buying, copywriting, overseeing production schedule, and delivering creative deliverables.
As with many positions, the incumbent will perform other duties as needed.
- 3- 5 years of experience in writing, copywriting, and editing, combined with the ability to create, revise, and repurpose content.
- Ability to execute SEO strategy, sourcing top keywords from Google Analytics search reports and integrating those keywords into writing, and a desire to become an expert about search as a powerful marketing tool.
- Extreme attention to detail and commitment to quality. Eagle eye proofreader.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and take initiative to solve problems.
- Independent thinker with the ability to prioritize, create timelines, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral communication skills in order to talk and collaborate with a wide variety of colleagues across the organization.
- Flexibility and willingness to change direction if needed.
- Fluid competency in Google business apps (G Suite).
- Knowledge or interest in music is heavily desired, both the art form and industry—enough to challenge the industry status quo in the bold SFCM voice.
- BA in Journalism, Communications, or related field.
How to Apply
We prefer to receive applications through our website. Along with your resume, please upload a Cover. If selected as a possible candidate, please be prepared to provide writing samples.
This position will be open until filled.
SFCM’s mission is to transform our students: artistically, intellectually, professionally and individually. Through the study of music at the highest level, our students learn to seek achievement in every endeavor, to convert challenges into opportunities, to understand the nature of excellence, and to pursue their dreams with vigor and determination. We believe that inspiring the imagination, cultivating the artist, honing the intellect, and developing the professional are the keys to launching innovative graduates who excel in any field. SFCM is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields.
SFCM is a fully committed equal employment opportunity institution and welcomes applications from all qualified persons, including those who consider themselves to be of a race, national origin or ancestry that is not fully represented in musical arts programs in the United States. Personnel decisions regarding applicants for employment are made without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran, age, citizenship, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.