The Senior Program Officer (SPO) position provides strategic support and leadership to one or more Program Directors to advance equitable resilience and sustainability projects in communities across the United States. The position guides the design, development, and implementation of projects to accelerate locally-led solutions that tackle immediate problems while strengthening communities overall. Working across a variety of U.S geographies, the SPO works with grassroots and other community organizations, institutional partners, and local and regional governments to foster collaboration to address climate impacts. The SPO coordinates between project partners and stakeholders, leads community engagement, designs and facilitates workshops, and analyzes data to best inform future project implementation.
This position will be remote, with a work-from-home or a shared office space arrangement, with supervision at distance, or in one of ISC’s U.S. offices (Washington, D.C. or Montpelier, Vermont). Extensive travel (up to 50%) within the U.S. is required.
- Provide effective relationship management between ISC, project partners, and project stakeholders, to foster ongoing productive relationships.
- Provide effective partner/process management, including multi-stakeholder collaboration, analysis, and meeting facilitation.
- Provide virtual and in-person advice, assistance, and technical know-how to stakeholders; drawing from the incumbent’s professional training and experience; ISC’s extensive library of case studies and resources; and examples from other local, national, and international best practices.
- Use a variety of tools to support project management, data analysis, monitoring and evaluation, and overall project planning and implementation.
- Track the progress of partners, capture best practices and lessons learned, distill and synthesize those practices and lessons, and identify technical assistance or resources to support the partners’ achievements toward identified goals.
- Research and develop resources, tools, case studies, and other materials to support the identified goals of partners.
- Design and deliver workshops and other educational and capacity-building activities to policy makers, elected officials, businesses, and communities to increase support for and advance climate/resilience efforts.
- Inform the development and implementation of communications strategies and materials.
- Provide strategic support and leadership in identifying opportunities for advancing the project and its objectives, including analyzing trends in national and local sustainability and resilience action, identifying potential partnerships beneficial to advancing the project, and developing ideas for expanding and deepening the impact of the project.
- Manage project budgets in conjunction with the Senior Budget & Operations Officer and Program Director.