The Tahirih Justice Center is a national, nonprofit organization that serves women, girls, and other immigrant survivors fleeing gender-based violence. Our interdisciplinary, trauma-informed model of service combines free legal and social services with bridge-building policy advocacy and research-based training and education. Our programs efficiently and effectively leverage donated professional services from a vast network of attorneys, medical professionals, and other experts to serve as many immigrant survivors as possible. By amplifying the experiences of survivors in communities, courts, and Congress, Tahirih’s mission is to create a world in which all people share equal rights and live in safety and with dignity. [Learn more about Tahirih’s Values, including our Commitment to Anti-Racism.]
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Director of Development (DD) will carry out Tahirih’s mission by managing all aspects of the annual fund in support of meeting the organization’s strategic and operational goals. Responsibilities will include working closely with the CDO to develop, implement, and evaluate fund development strategies that will meaningfully engage and motivate donors to meet annual fund development goals across the organization. The Director of Development will serve as a member of the agency wide leadership team and participate in consensus decision making.
- Support implementation of national and local fundraising strategies through regular, robust communication with development managers and directors
- Partner with directors of policy and communications in implementation of national fund development strategies
- Partner with the CDO and Individual Giving Manager to plan, manage, implement and evaluate all aspects of the Annual Fund
- Support the development and implementation of a comprehensive, written, Annual Fund development plan
- Oversee the Individual Giving Manager’s implementation of annual fund cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Support Resource Development team as needed to maximize overall fundraising revenue and the mission of Tahirih
PROGRAM SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement and manage aspects of a 2-year/$5,000,000 campaign exclusive of 2022 being the silent phase, including all solicitation phases of the campaign, event planning, cultivation, and campaign publications/communications. The Director will support campaign strategy, including establishing solicitation priorities, managing prospect lists, developing and executing targeted cultivation plans and solicitation strategies for a range of projects, preparing and providing support to staff, board members and volunteers for solicitation, and planning and managing cultivation events.
- Oversee a portfolio of at least 70 donors and prospects to build and deepen relationships with donors and create opportunities to expand giving. Initiate and cultivate one-to-one relationships that enhance the potential donor’s connection and lifetime loyalty to Tahirih Justice Center.
- Solicit major gifts of at least $75k-100k+ level over a three-year period (or roughly $25k per year) focusing on six+ figure donors with an annual revenue goal of at least $1M
- Develop highly personalized donor communications including proposals, stewardship reports, and general program updates.
- Expand Tahirih’s existing pool of donors to include prospects with capacity to give transformative gifts and aligned with our values and strategies.
- Utilize CRM, other research, and networks of existing donors to identify prospective major donors.
- Advise and support colleagues throughout the organization in the cultivation of individual donor relationships.
- Serve as a prospect manager for the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Development Officer, Board members and volunteers.
- Support campaigns and strategies to cultivate and retain major donors, renew and upgrade donor gifts, and generate revenue in line with the organization’s goals.
Annual Giving Campaign
- Support the planning and execution of the annual fund campaign solicitations with the objectives of: communicating the Tahirih mission, renewing and increasing donor gifts, and acquiring new donors
- Use the AG campaign to develop a pipeline of prospects for the Tahirih Major Gifts Program by identifying prospects for the next level of giving
Resource Development Events
- Partner with the Event Manager to plan, implement, and direct development events to meet fundraising, donor acquisition, cultivation, stewardship, and community engagement goals as determined in coordination with Tahirih leadership
- Plan and direct all event-related acknowledgements and stewardship
- Direct all event support staff and volunteers
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum of ten years proven and effective experience cultivating individual donor relationships in philanthropic fundraising and securing 5-6 figure, multiyear gifts
- Advanced knowledge of fund development theories, principles, and procedures
- Advanced written and oral communication skills
- Preferred knowledge of donor database system, Raiser’s Edge
- Advanced knowledge of direct mail requirements and best practices
- Ability to adjust work pace to maximize production without loss of work quality
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, & volunteers
- Experience in planning and executing special events
- Experience in grant writing and management
- Commitment to a high standard of ethics and to promote the donor bill of rights
- Commitment to maintaining a high level of confidentiality with information acquired about Tahirih prospects, donors, and volunteers
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Tahirih with the ability to serve as a compelling ambassador for the organization.
- Availability to travel, work outside daytime business hours to manage events and represent Tahirih at external events as and when required.
Annual salary and benefits: The salary range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000 and will be commensurate to experience and qualifications. Generous benefits include employee and dependent health, vision and dental insurance (Tahirih pays 100% of the premium for employees and 60% for dependents); a 401(k) defined contribution retirement plan; flexible work schedules; professional development including in-house training programs, staff enrichment retreats and other growth opportunities. Employees have a very generous self-managed leave benefit inclusive of vacation, sick and holidays, including an office closure the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
Submissions: Please include a cover letter, resume and a list of three references.
Please note: Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
** Tahirih requires that all staff be fully vaccinated or be tested weekly to assure that they are free of COVID-19 when we return to in office operations in 2022**
Tahirih Justice Center is committed to equal opportunity and promotes equity and transparency as core values. Tahirih practices inclusiveness in decision making through the use of consultation with employees throughout the organization. Tahirih does not discriminate against any person on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, ability, gender, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Applicants committed to equity from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and identities, and in particular those from underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.