Position: Store Assistant Manager
Department: Clark County ReStore
Reports to: Store Manager
Status: full-time; non-exempt
Compensation: $19.45/hour to $24.32/hour; See Starting Salary Expectations section below.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region revitalizes neighborhoods, builds affordable and sustainable homes, and empowers families through successful homeownership. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a global home building movement and top private home builder in the country. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities, the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to reach their full potential, and that starts with a stable and healthy place to call home.
We are intentional about building a healthy and thriving organizational culture and envision a community of staff, partners, volunteers, and donors who are deeply committed to equitable and anti-racist practices in every facet of our organization. We engage in continual learning and seek ways to operationalize equitable practices. Our Equity Statement and Cultural Compact are living, breathing documents that we continually work toward.
A key source of funds to support Habitat’s mission comes from its retail operations called Habitat ReStores. The Habitat for Humanity ReStore home improvement outlets take donated new and used building materials, furniture, appliances, lighting fixtures and other home goods, then sell them to raise money for Habitat home-building projects while diverting tons of reusable materials out of area landfills. Since its inception, the Habitat Portland Region ReStores have sold over $13 million in merchandise with over $3 million in direct contributions to Habitat’s mission of building homes, communities, and hope. There are currently four ReStores that support three Habitat affiliates serving the Portland/Vancouver metro area.
Note to Candidates:
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications as described.
The Clark County Store Assistant Manager is responsible for establishing a productive flow of daily operations, and ensuring the store upholds efficient, organized, profitable, and high functioning standards set forth by leadership. The individual in this role is expected to perform all tasks safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with staff, volunteers, and customers. This position requires energy and motivation while also providing growth potential to someone who is self-starting, communicative, and connected to the Habitat mission.
In partnership with the Store Manager:
- Oversee store operations and employee performance
- Ensure volunteer program success
- Meet and exceed customer service standards
- Model and maintain safe working conditions
- Onboard employees and volunteers
- Assist with performance management
- Model a neat appearance and appropriate attire, including wearing the ReStore logo and name tag
- Assume the role of Store Manager at the directive and/or absence of the Store Manager
- Other duties as assigned
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is committed to the health and safety of our employees, volunteers, and the broader community. Starting January 4, 2022, all employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, or will be required to undergo weekly Covid-19 testing as a condition of employment. Medical and/or religious accommodations may apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Exemplary leadership and problem-solving skills, including addressing unexpected issues and emergencies
- Ability to effectively guide all aspects of store operations in coordination with Store Manager
- Skill to manage customer and donor issues and complaints professionally and courteously
- Ability to manage time and workload efficiently, including timely arrivals and reports
- Knowledge of safe and appropriate tool and equipment use, such as a forklift, pallet jack, and dolly
- Knowledge of communication tools, such as telephone, email, and 2-way radio
- Ability to effectively use, manage, and teach the volunteer management platform Get Connected
- Adaptable to a changing work environment
- Desire to learn and teach new operations skills as the program develops
- Three (3) years minimum experience in a leadership or management role, or equivalent work experience
- Experience volunteering and/or managing volunteers
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, reading, and writing)
- Basic math skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
· Any qualifying combination of education, certification, and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
· Knowledge of retail industry and environmental areas preferred
Work Environment and Physical Demands
· This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment
· This position is very active and requires consistent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
· This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
· 40 hours/week; variable, includes evenings and weekends
· Current store hours: 10am-6pm Wednesday - Monday
Starting Salary Expectations:
Minimum $19.45/hour to wage range midpoint of $24.32/hour. Placement will generally not exceed the midpoint based on qualifications, experience, and internal equity. The full wage range is $19.45/hour to $29.18/hour.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Health insurance (medical, vision, alternative care, prescription)
- Health reimbursement arrangement (HRA)
- Dental insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 3% matching 403(b) retirement plan
- Flexible spending accounts
- Short-term & long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee assistance program
- And more!
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials at: https://tinyurl.com/habpdxjobs
· Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position.
· Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive. Habitat for Humanity Portland Region is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.