The Purchasing Manager, is responsible for leading the sourcing, negotiating, purchasing, and management of materials and suppliers. This individual provides strategic direction across all aspects of purchasing to support operations efficiently and cost-effectively.
This role ensures the flow of materials are in accordance with production and shipping schedules and/or department priorities. This position also directs activities of staff engaged in purchasing MRO, Sales/Marketing, and eCommerce supplies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Negotiate and execute contracts and blanket orders with suppliers and contractors.
- Research and onboard new suppliers.
- Develop positive and productive relationships with all suppliers and partners. Maintain a high level of engagement with suppliers at all times.
- Manage supplier performance and hold accountable to contractual agreements.
- Develop and execute sourcing strategies to achieve best possible pricing, improve lead times, support growth, and maintain adequate back up suppliers.
- Develop and manage purchasing forecasts to stay ahead of price and market trends.
- Manage annual bid process to secure supplies based on forecast and initiate cost savings.
- Define, manage, and report on department KPIs. Develop ERP reporting and functionality to drive sound business decisions.
- Collaborate with R&D team to sample and source new ingredients, ensure compliance with standards, communicate pricing options, supply risks, and contract commitments.
- Collaborate across teams to manage inventory and ensure on-time delivery of supplies to support production timing.
- Write and manage timely purchase orders. Including shipping/logistics, damage claims, and billing questions/issues.
- Utilize ERP system to execute MRP. Ensure system is accurate and updated timely. Collaborate with Accounting Department to verify invoices are accurate and coded properly.
- Recommend major purchases of materials based on projected changes in price, MOQ, or anticipated supply constraints. Balance space constraints and cash flow considerations against possible price savings.
- Support and participate in new product launches and product changes.
- Provide constant, clear, and concise communication to leadership, stakeholders, suppliers, and partners. Communicate updates to project status, contract renewals, cost changes, vendor performance, delays/issues, risks, and initiatives.
- Develop department SOPs and support audit related requests.
- Maintain accurate and complete supplier and materials records.
- Champion the company culture and values
- Embrace, practice, and support Humm policies, Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practices, and all Safety Regulations.
- Maintain constructive and productive working relationships with employees and other department heads
- Being part of the Win