To participate in civil and administrative litigation, and provide attorneys at the PETA Foundation with legal advice and assistance on a wide range of issues arising from or related to PETA's and the PETA Foundation’s work advocating for animal protection and animal rights issues.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Assist with all aspects of litigation in state and federal courts—including, as necessary, engaging in legal research, complaint drafting, written discovery, document review, depositions, motion practice, trial preparation, and oral advocacy—stemming from PETA’s and the PETA Foundation’s work advocating for animal protection and animal rights issues
• Participate in amicus efforts and work with others to formulate and develop litigation to further PETA's objectives
• Work closely with in-house and outside counsel on active litigation to achieve cost-effective results for PETA and the PETA Foundation
• Research, interpret and apply local, state, and federal statutes and regulations and applicable case law, with a primary focus on animal protection and animal rights issues
• Assist caseworkers, researchers, and campaigners throughout PETA with a wide array of legal issues
• Liaise with and provide legal advice and opinions to various PETA and PETA Foundation departments regarding efforts to publicize PETA’s legal work
• Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• J.D. and not more than three years of civil litigation experience.
• Experience with animal law, administrative law, First Amendment, media law, FOIA/state open records law, and/or environmental law is preferred but not required
• Member in good standing of at least one state bar association
• Superior legal research and writing skills
• Willingness and ability to travel on occasion
• This position requires proof of the COVID-19 full vaccination
• Support for PETA’s philosophy and the ability to advocate PETA’s and the PETA Foundation’s positions on issues professionally
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
This position cannot be performed in Colorado.