We are Happy Mushroom, a full-service Virtual Art Studio Department specializing in providing high-end, real-time and In-Engine CG production solutions for the Film, TV, Games, and VFX industries. Some of our highlighted projects include The Mandalorian, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Suicide Squad, and more.
We are currently looking for talented, passionate, and creative Lighting Artists with extensive technical expertise, fundamental understanding of color, perspective & design theory, have a strong sense of light and shadow principles, and able to bring projects to completion with an outside-the-box problem-solving demeanor. The Lighting Artist will bring key environment factors to life by often overcoming hurdles within the project, constantly find new ways to achieve a creative vision, and work under tight deadlines and budgets.
Join our rapidly growing diverse team of filmmakers, designers, software developers and internal employees, specializing in virtual production, virtual art department, camera ready sets, and stage operations whilst working towards one common goal. What sets us apart from the rest is a unique set of shared and inclusive values, goals, and a positive employee experience from day one which helps us set the standard in the Virtual Arts industry!
As a Lighting Artist, you will incorporate depth and realism into many of our film project scenes through lighting, shadowing and rendering. Whilst meeting our clients' needs for the project and understanding the vision required to deliver a quality realistic style for compelling 3D environments, you will work with other Lighting Artists, Environment Designers, Producers and Managers to ensure our creative production processes have a well-rounded design, and aid in project development best practices whilst fostering a culture of greatness by mirroring our diverse & inclusive core values. Effective time management and excellent communication skills are required! We work hard and play hard!
Requirements for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Ability to create lighting setups to be used by other artists
- Work with Art Directors, Lighting Leads and Concept Artwork to design lighting setups for environments, characters and interactive film assets.
- Deep knowledge of lightmap baking, dynamic lighting tools, image based specular lighting, indirect light probes, post-process volumes and real-time rendering and raytracing
- Partner with environment, character and VFX artists in the lighting design to achieve the desired targets for aesthetics and performance through material shader and geometry work
- Work with level designers to animate via level blueprint or sequencer dynamic lighting
- Ability to exercise a creative and technically proficient approach to lighting levels for our environment projects, based on personal vision as well as conceptual illustrations
- Debug any issues when building out scenes and making sure renders are efficient
- Light, shadow and render look development, for integration of CG elements and CG shots
- Collaborate with Artists and Engineers to create compelling lighting for a variety of environments while maintaining a consistent style throughout the project
- Partner with our graphics and tools engineers to help drive the evolution of our lighting tools and pipelines
- Create photo-realistic visuals through lighting, bringing an organic feel to complex scenes
- Closely work with Lighting and Environment Leads to keep workflows and quality consistent across all environments
- Assist with Pre & Post production scoping and scheduling
- Adjust color, placement and intensity of CG lights to create an eye-grabbing atmosphere, add realism, and depth.
- Effectively use reference photos taken on-set or location, and match the illumination of virtual 3D objects to the look of the on-set production.
The Perfect Candidate Will Possess:
- A minimum of 3 continuous years of experience in lighting artistry, in the VFX, motion pictures, film or gaming industry
- A Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 2 years of experience as a Lighter in a VFX Production environment
- Solid expertise of Unreal Engine 4
- Experience in Autodesk Maya using 3D animation, modeling, simulation and rendering
- Understanding of compositing techniques in Nuke
- Thorough understanding of real-time lighting techniques
- Ability to toggle between projects effectively
- Previous experience as a lighting artist in the gaming or VFX industries
- Previous experience in shader development for 3d characters
- Experience in Renderman blender tools
- Experience in high-level shading languages (RSL, OSL, HLSL), Maya Python/PyMEL, Python, or C
- Experience in high-end production grooming tasks and tools (such as Xgen)
- Expertise in development & implementation of lighting systems and post-process effects
Applicants must provide:
- A portfolio or demo reel that demonstrates a keen eye for detail and the ability to use light, shadow, and color to create a variety of tones and moods
Happy Mushroom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and has taken an oath to not discriminate against any employee or candidate because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. Our inclusive and welcoming culture inspires us every day to test new things, speak without fear of retaliation and be as creative as we can be! These beliefs bring us together in ways that will help us open up our artistic minds, stand out from the rest and empower us all to create a better world for future generations! Fun, right? We look forward to meeting you!