The Special Education teacher instructs special education students in a classroom setting, prepares lesson plans and instructional materials designed to meet needs of individual students. This individual will evaluate and monitor student's performance and may implement therapeutic programs for students.
- Facilitate lessons in a manner that will be effective despite a student's disability.
- Provide support for students both academically and personally where necessary.
- Respect students and treat them with dignity in the learning environment.
- Prepare lessons in advance with the needs of learners in mind.
- Design activities to achieve the learning goals of the students.
- Demonstrates mastery of subject matter
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Education.
- 2-4 years of related experience, preferred.
- Previous experience working with students with special needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of teaching practices for students with special needs.
- Specialization in Special Education, preferred.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.