Job Title: AmeriCorps Community Projects Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Student Life
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Every year, thousands of young people in Philadelphia dropout of school. This decades-long dropout crisis impacts individual lives by sustaining the cycle of underemployment and poverty, and threatens Philadelphia’s ability to thrive.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School was founded in 1992 to give high school dropouts a second chance and the opportunity to build a brighter future for themselves and their community. Our innovative program offers young at-risk adults a high school diploma, valuable job skills, and the opportunity to learn and grow in a community-oriented, supportive environment. We prepare our students for further educational attainment and meaningful careers as they become leaders and contributing members in a stronger Philadelphia.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School’s mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The program’s three core values - respect, excellence and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
Full-time AmeriCorps Community Project Coordinators at YouthBuild Philadelphia will have the opportunity to contribute to YB Philly through fostering civic responsibility among our students, strengthening our community, and increasing student engagement. This position will work on community projects, student events, service learning, and academic enrichment. The Community Project Coordinator at YouthBuild Philadelphia has the opportunity to service the community at larger or assist with a specific workforce track (Child and Youth Care Development, Green Build, Advanced Construction, Culinary, Business Administration or Healthcare)
- Support the Restorative Practices, Climate/Culture of school programming
- Plan monthly student engagement activities & events, such as extra-curricular activities, cookouts, dances, trips, and prom
- Communicate value of service through fostering leadership in school experiences and opportunities
- Facilitate a service-learning workshop focused on social justice issues that affect residents of Philadelphia, and expose students to community organizations working on these issues
- Facilitate & participate in full-school community events
- Coordinate the community impact efforts for the entire student body through service-learning
- Coordinate after-school and Saturday service opportunities for students by partnering with outside organizations and designing original projects
- Plan school-wide MLK Day of Service project
- Support the school’s Saturday School academic-enhancement program
- Serve as a mentor
- Tutor students through in-classroom support and after school on a rotating basis
- Support student graduation through communicating value in graduation requirements
- Support students in career development planning and placements
- Attend all required trainings and staff meetings throughout service year
- Preferred Education: Hold a Bachelor's Degree (not required)
- Ability to serve full 12-month term of service from start date
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Have a strong desire to provide needed educational, technological, or community services to an underserved community
- Have initiative, flexibility, and motivation
- Have a good understanding of the myriad of challenges facing inner-city students
- Mission driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Intermediate to advanced Google Suite skills
- Commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to Restorative Practices
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- Fieldprint FBI background check (for Americorps)
- Truescreen background check (for Americorps)
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
- A living allowance of $28,000 for the one-year term. The living allowance is taxable, and taxes will be deducted directly from the living allowance and will be distributed biweekly, first by check then by direct deposit.
- All members are required to have health insurance. Should the member not have health insurance, YouthBuild Philadelphia will provide reimbursement of monthly premiums for individual health insurance.
- Transportation support
- Childcare coverage (if applicable)
- Loan forbearance with interest-accrual payment
- An education award of about $6,095 upon completion of the full term of service
How to Apply:
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.