Executive/Senior Director for Sports Partnerships
Under the general direction of the Vice President for Partnerships, the Executive Director for Sports Partnerships (“EDSP”) will oversee the development and delivery of revenue and brand engagement associated with new and current partners. The V Foundation seeks to develop partnerships with professional sports leagues, teams, ownership groups, NCAA partners, athletes, and the brands that support the sports industry. These alliances will link to the V Foundation’s overall goals to drive awareness, relevance, reach, and revenue. The individual will organize a vision for entrepreneurial program delivery and evaluation. The successful candidate will be goal-oriented, driven by results, creative, mission-driven, and a collaborative team player who can unlock potential to achieve transformational results.
The Executive Director will leverage a new and comprehensive V Foundation partnership platform meant to enhance current relationships, secure new partnerships, and diversify programmatic and revenue streams. This work will support overall marketing strategies by maximizing critical owned and borrowed assets and channels to create deeper connections with current and new supporters in meaningful ways.
The EDSP will leverage several built-in strengths of the organization, including positive reputational awareness and productive relationships with iconic brands and critical industry and research partners, including our founding partner ESPN. The EDSP will have the opportunity to steward and grow relationships, as well as enhance and develop assets that facilitate entrepreneurial thinking and action to more fully build out our capacity within the sports/celebrity vertical. The V Foundation is engaged with several noteworthy industry champions, athletes, celebrities, and board members. The EDSP will arrive at a moment of exciting vision and growth potential with the charge to maximize the potential in traditional and non-traditional ways.
75% Cultivate a robust and diverse pipeline of new sports/celebrity partnerships. Convert pipeline to enhanced brand reach and revenue growth through mutually beneficial, creative, entrepreneurial, and mission-centric opportunities. Successfully transition new business to client services in ways that increase the possibilities of future re-activation and enhanced activation.
- With the Vice President for Partnerships, set team strategy and goals for new relationship development and revenue growth. Establish sports/celebrity alliances that propel the V Foundation mission. Ensure personal and team performance that links to the organization’s strategic and revenue growth goals.
- Develop industry mapping, market identification and channel segmentation, pipeline research, and qualification / development of opportunities.
- Create revenue generating, brand building partnerships with sports leagues, teams, player ambassadors, and sports-connected companies to grow the V Foundation in alignment with long-term objectives.
- Collaborate with the Vice President for Partnerships and other V Foundation staff on the development of partnership strategies and the development of unique partnership assets.
- Develop a standard and dynamic set of presentation / pitch materials and offerings / proposals to make a compelling case for business support.
- Provide regular, accurate, and updated periodic reporting of activities and pipeline status against identified goals (including contact information, funnel / pipeline data, revenue/media value forecasts and financial tracking, and activity data).
- Develop plans and budgets to meet program and financial targets.
15% Oversee the maintenance and support of existing client relationships. Ensure the V Foundation delivers a best practice and value-added ambassador program.
- Collaborate as a team and throughout the V Foundation to deliver effective execution, integration, and fulfillment of the V Foundation ambassador program.
- Monitor the execution of partnership renewal strategies.
- Identify creative ways to thank sports partners and celebrity ambassadors for their mission-centric support of the V Foundation.
- Coordinate accounting and reporting across business units internally and externally.
10% Manage and mentor direct reports.
- Oversee a team that delivers new sports/ambassador partnerships and emerging brands that target younger and more diverse audiences than our current portfolio as well as stewarding existing relationships
- Support and recommend individual and team performance goals that connect to organizational growth strategies.
- Identify professional development opportunities to support experiential and knowledge growth.
- Mentor and develop teammates. Create an environment where the relationship development and management is strong, and performance contributes to the business partnerships team achieving its potential.
- Other duties may be added or removed as necessary.
- Proactive self-starter with strong creative, analytical, planning, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated track record of building external partnerships pipeline and delivering partnership revenue from the pipeline.
- Experience in translating a strategic plan, business plans, and revenue objectives into cultivation and solicitation strategies with external audiences.
- A belief in the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and action that demonstrates this commitment.
- Strong sense of initiative and an outcomes-oriented mindset.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, marketing or related degree, with 10-plus years relevant experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Experience in the following areas is strongly preferred:
- Demonstrated track record of delivering business partnership from a variety of industries.
- Personally responsible for driving major organizational growth objectives.
- 8-plus years in sports-related partnership roles.
- An understanding of sports/celebrity ambassadors’ roles in generating brand awareness and revenue, as well as an ability to coordinate with the efforts of cross-functional teams and partners.
Equipment Used: Basic office equipment: phone, computer, copier, and digital equipment.