Doing retail better. This mantra has guided NewMark Merrill over the last 40 years: through changes, challenges, varied economic and industry disruption. We hold true to our core beliefs of connecting with communities, creating authentic environments of unsurpassed opportunity for merchants and sharing our passion for retail real estate with innovative team members.
With offices in Denver, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and Chicago, NewMark Merrill owns and manages more than 10 million square feet of retail assets comprised of over 2,000 tenants across 80 cities.
As a boutique-sized firm, we offer both the benefit of large portfolio economies of scale paired with agile decision-making capability and individualized attention from senior leadership.
By combining close relationships with communities, hands-on engagement with our merchants and shoppers, and industry leading investments in technology and data collection, we provide the insights that help ensure our tenants have the tools to succeed in our centers.
The combination of understanding the communities we serve, and world class technology allows us to maximize value and create exceptional experiences that convert visitors into loyal customers.
Our people are what make NewMark Merrill the successful and innovative company it has become. With an unwavering commitment to the success of our partners, the communities we serve and the development of our people, we have created an authentic and proactive culture that sets NewMark Merrill apart.
Go to www.newmarkmerrill.com to learn more about the company and its culture.
- Maintain comprehensive oversight of existing operating assets. Direct the development of business plans and objectives, marketing, leases, and sales plans along with investment strategies for each asset’s operation and capital improvements. This includes budgets, forecasts, monthly performance reports, timelines, and management plans.
- Pursue retailer requirements, pursue various development leads, and canvas strategic properties in target trade areas with eye toward ground up development and acquisition of existing centers to be repositioned.
- Pursue various development leads through commercial brokers, landowners, and real estate investment platforms.
- Serve as a leader, but also a smart, aggressive “hunter” and dealmaker in the market with the intent of establishing a deal pipeline of development opportunities, acquisitions, and fee-managed property management mandates.
- Create and execute a strategic plan for the investment and development activity of the company that has a high yield, high appeal, and value.
- Broker Relationships: Networking with brokerage community for market intelligence gathering and relationship management. Plan periodic, unique, and effective broker events. Maintain close relationships to get the first call on all new opportunities.
- Manage listing broker team and drive accountability for data reporting, efficient communication, and proactive marketing plan.
- Lead and manage the process of financial analysis including modeling, valuations, due diligence, and performance measurements.
- Work with the disposition team to facilitate the sale of any assets including selecting brokers, performing asset review including appropriate marketing methods and pricing, approving content, quality, and timing of offering materials.
- Lead response and negotiation efforts through execution of purchase and sale agreement, due diligence, closing and post-closing activities.
- Maintain direct dialogue with capital partners in pursuit of arranging, maximizing, and placing the optimal mix of equity capital on a deal-by-deal basis.
- Maintain a sound understanding of the current trends and fundamentals in the capital markets through regular interaction with capital partners.
- Present property and market specific reports to management and investment committee. Operate in the primary market areas of Colorado initially.
- Connect and build long term relationships with owners, cities, brokers, and research potentially attractive opportunities for the firm.
- Conduct thorough initial feasibility analysis and gain a firm understanding of significant issues affecting a property’s potential future performance.
- Develop financial proformas and conduct on-going financial assessments of all income and expense expectations for the properties.
- Manage and oversee in-house and third-party brokers to solicit and generate key tenant interest for new opportunities on terms and conditions that match or exceed proforma or operating budget.
- Perform necessary acquisition and pre-development due diligence to confirm initial assumptions before closing escrow or commencing work.
- Document and negotiate relevant Purchase Contracts, City Entitlements, Term Sheets with lenders and other similar development agreements.
- Coordinate and oversee all aspects of development including oversight of consultants, contractors, engineers, and other vendors with our selected construction team.
- Established track record of business plan development, execution, and value creation across the retail asset class.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred), specializing in Business and Finance.
- 5+ years of proven investment/acquisition experience in the shopping center real estate market.
- Highly effective leader with the ability to build strong relationships with prospective and existing clients/partners and sellers/buyers of real estate as well as direct reports.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism, leadership, and analytical skills.
- Working knowledge of leasing, accounting, development, and operations of projects.
- Strong leadership and teamwork ability; provide support/direction to members of management team.
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, leadership, and decision-making skills.
- Preference for familiarity with the Colorado and adjoining state market area and knowledge of potential broker and community relationships.