JMI Laboratories is a mid-sized company based in North Liberty, IA. A global leader for twenty years in anti-infectives research, JMI runs the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program that monitors worldwide pathogens and annual changes in resistance patterns. JMI also serves as a clinical and reference laboratory in support of new drug development.
JMI prides itself on its research focus and flexible work culture that nurtures team members who are self-starters eager to learn on the job.
The Microbiologist will conduct research supporting SENTRY and client projects by performing susceptibility testing as well as assays for non-traditional therapies. Accordingly, a focus for this position will be developing new and innovative assays and techniques.
Position title (Microbiologist I or Microbiologist II) will be determined by the successful candidate’s experience and previous job responsibilities.
- Process incoming bacterial and fungal specimens, identify isolates, and participate in testing while complying with laboratory regulatory and safety requirements.
- Participate in new drug development protocols of varying complexity by assisting principal investigators and research scientists to develop novel assays for non-traditional therapies.
- Write and revise laboratory procedures by taking detailed notes during assays and following CLSI and regulatory guidelines.
- Perform QC testing and document results, informing the Laboratory Manager and QA department if failures are observed and recommending corrective actions.
- Provide direction to Laboratory Assistants regarding processing specimens and conducting testing.
- 1-3+ years of laboratory experience in microbiology or a related field.
- Proficiency in computer operations and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in science-related field.
This position is an on-site, full-time position in North Liberty, IA.
Hours may include weekend shifts.
JMI Laboratories offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, PTO, and 401(k).
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer.
No recruiters or agencies please.