Performs professional accounting work of considerable difficulty. Establishes accounting policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems in consultation with Chief Financial Officer. Responsible for the overall integrity and accuracy of the accounting and financial reporting system in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Analyzes operating performance against plans, trends, budgets or other standards and provides advice to management as deemed appropriate or requested. This position works frequently with other FRH staff. As a member of the Leadership Team, works proactively with agency leadership to meet FRH goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Federal Program Accounting & Compliance
- Follows Foothills Regional Housing (FRH), U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) policies, procedures, rules and regulations, where applicable.
- Primary responsibility for completion of required financial reports for funding agencies, including primary responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of data maintained in the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) system for all managed/affiliated entities.
- Primary responsibility for internal controls, accuracy and timeliness of required financial information in all other federal reporting systems including, but not limited to, the Voucher Management System (VMS).
- Makes recommendations for maximization of HUD scoring based on best practices in budget and financial management.
Accounting & Financial Statements
- Complete all phases of Revenues & Expenditures, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Cash Receipts, Cash Management, Fixed Asset Management, Balance Sheets, Grants and Contracts Management and Reporting, Budgeting (including Revisions), and Fiscal Period Closings.
- Monitors and controls an effective accounting system which provides various levels of management with appropriate and accurate financial reporting of operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Responsibility in this area includes development and management of necessary financial/operational decision-making tools for management and staff.
- Performs month-end/quarter-end/year-end closing of books for FRH and all related or managed/affiliated entities by established deadlines.
- Primary responsibility for preparation and presentation of financial statements for the FRH and all related or managed entities.
- Primary responsibility for preparation and presentation of budgets for FRH and all related or managed entities, including Budget Revisions as necessary.
- Primary responsibility for completion of required financial reports for funding agencies.
- Prepares, by the deadline, all applicable reports, financial and budget records and any other reports deemed necessary.
- Responsible for the timeliness and accuracy of all financial records and reports for all FRH programs. Coordinates external audits and all compliance reporting.
- Prepares financial reports for FRH executives, board and funding agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepares reports which summarize and forecast agency business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and expected operations.
- Prepares cost allocation plans, and fringe benefits management plans.
- Ensures consistent, reliable and timely financial information for entities assigned is disseminated to the financial statement users and executive management team.
- Prepares the Schedule of Federal Financial Assistance for financial statement presentation and inclusion in annual audit.
- Primary responsibility for timely completion of the month end close process for all FRH entities.
- Prepare and/or review account analyses, monthly analytical reviews of balance sheets and income statements, and budget variances.
- Prepare and post journal entries as required.
- Reconcile and maintain comprehensive records for all general ledger balance sheet accounts for areas assigned.
- Primary responsibility for preparation, oversight, review and verification of accuracy of financial statements, explanatory notes and schedules for audit use for FRH and all related or managed entities
- Assist in managing the relationship with internal and external auditors, consultants, federal regulatory agencies, suppliers and other entities necessary for the cordial business functions of FRH and all related or managed entities.
- Primary responsibility for identifying and implementing full capabilities of the accounting software to gain maximum efficiencies from the system.
- Develops goals and objectives related to efficiency of accounting systems and procedures. Reviews and develops improvements to accounting internal control systems.
- Capable of installing and maintaining computerized financial information system.
- Analyze and design accounting systems if required.
- Ensure proper documentation and audit trails for all accounting transactions
- Establish internal control systems to assure the protection of assets.
- Supervises Accounting Team, including:
- Monitor and evaluate work product of those under direct supervision, provide appropriate coaching and feedback as necessary to improve their performance.
- Maintain a team-oriented environment, encourage a strong work ethic and be committed to improving the educational opportunity and achievement of the staff consistent with FRH policies and directives.
- Display strong, fair, and consistent leadership qualities and the ability to manage all situations.
- Responsible for cross-training and technical assistance to other accounting and agency staff, as required.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains the utmost confidentiality of personnel information.
- Must treat people with respect and work with integrity and professional ethics, upholding the agency’s values and mission. Represents the agency in a positive, professional and ethical manner at all times. This specifically includes abiding by all the rules outlined in the Employee Handbook and encouraging others to do so.
- Adapt well to change in the work environment. Must be able to work with interruptions and respond calmly and professionally. Provide quality services to a culturally diverse population. Must always be respectful and professional.
- Ability to make rational and appropriate decisions. Must be able to write clearly and professionally. Ability to convey financial information effectively to executives and staff, including persons with limited financial background.
- Maintain office in a neat and clean manner. No confidential or proprietary information including files and computer screens are to be visible to office visitors or left on the desk after work hours.
- Maintain a team-oriented environment, encourage a strong work ethic and be committed to improving the educational opportunity of the staff consistent with FRH policies and directives.
- Analysis of proposals for enterprise development, as requested.
- Occasional travel for business purposes and continuing education.
- Provide advice and counsel to management deemed appropriate or requested and execute such other tasks as may be assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS NEEDED
- Bachelor’s degree or above from an accredited college or university in Accounting or related field. Five years of work experience in accounting with preference for work in a government setting. One year of managing professional staff in the areas of accounting, budgeting, finance and analysis of financial operations.
- Strong organizational, time management and attention to detail skills.
- Ability to plan and implement accounting practices and procedures to insure the accurate and timely submission of financial records and reports.
- Ability to compile statistical information, analyze detailed financial information and prepare reports as required or upon request.
- Extensive knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures including GAAP accounting and acceptable internal controls.
- Ability to lead and supervise the activities of subordinate staff.
- Requires strong skills in organization, concentration, time management, initiative, and attention to detail. Must be able to deal with frequent interruptions and possess the ability to successfully work with a variety of populations.
- Requires excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment and work with limited supervision.
- Government accounting experience and thorough knowledge of governmental procurement policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of the financial reporting and accounting practices associated with the receipt and expenditure of HUD funds for the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- Requires a valid Colorado Driver’s License and the ability to be insured at standard rates.
- Ability to pass pre-employment criminal background checks
Foothills Regional Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FRH requires all candidates to be fully vaccinated and will require booster after employment, if not obtained before then
Salary range is $98,000 to $109,000