Successfully promote and support the mission of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas as guided by the Catholic Social Teachings by providing day-to-day programming that serves refugee populations in the Kansas City area through the New Roots for Refugees program: a program helping refugees start their own small businesses growing and selling organically grown produce. The Business Trainer will support the New Roots team in training recently arrived refugees for business ownership with a focus on marketing, sales, computer literacy, and recordkeeping. EEO.
- Provide “on-the-job” sales training for farmers selling produce at farmers markets, including transportation, May - October up to two days per week
- Train graduate farmers on how to recruit and manage their own CSA and wholesale customers using existing curriculum
- Work with program staff to teach financial recordkeeping to farmers-in-training, including tax support
- Provide support to program staff in teaching computer literacy, marketing, and media trainings
- Assist in managing social media, marketing, and website updates for New Roots and graduate farmers, including creation and distribution of a weekly newsletter for customers
- Train farmers on how to fund business expansion projects by assisting them with various strategies, including grant applications, crowdfunding campaigns, and others.
- Work with sales staff to pack orders and deliver produce weekly, training farmers on proper technique
- Coordinate with food pantries and other organizations that serve low-income families to identify how to improve food access via EBT sales
- Complete monthly reports and annual reports as well as other progress reports (as assigned).
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrate a passion for the mission of Catholic Charities
- Must be willing to perform by the agency’s values: love, patience, kindness, faithfulness, self- control and joy
- Catholic Charities promotes a diverse workforce. Employees are not required to be Catholic, however, employees of Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas must understand that they are a visible representative of the Archdiocesan Church and as such will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic Faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration, or writing including the use of social media or other digital technologies
- Must complete VIRTUS training, background screening, drug testing, and any ongoing training as required
- Must be reliable, communicative, and flexible
- Experience or familiarity with diversified vegetable farming preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent; college hours preferred
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that is multi-cultural and multi-lingual; experience with refugees and immigrants preferred
- Ability to interact effectively with community partners and advocate on behalf of refugee clients
- Fluency in English and competent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Preferred knowledge of graphic design or related field; familiarity with Canva
- Strong computer skills and knowledgeable in Microsoft Office programs
- Must be flexible in work schedule- some evenings, weekends and early mornings are required
- Must possess a valid Kansas or Missouri Driver’s license, dependable transportation, current vehicle insurance and a verified safe driving record.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, standing, bending and moving
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must have the physical ability to complete assignments in a variety of environments: homes of those we serve, extreme heat, humidity, dust, smoke, pet contamination, cleaning supplies, etc.
- May be exposed to infectious diseases
- Must have the physical ability to make visits to a variety of environments that may include walking on rough terrain and climbing stairs
- Must be able to squat, get in and out of a truck bed, set up tents and tables
- Must have the physical ability and appropriate licensure for driving