DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL PLANNING
We are not your typical financial advisor, and we are not looking for the typical candidate. We are a team of authentic, humble, passionate, reliable, dedicated, and compassionate individuals. Our goal is to find and reward great people that support our collaborative work environment. Our passion for providing industry-leading service to our clients is what drives us. We are looking for team members that can make us even better!
For almost three decades, Dowling & Yahnke has been part of a revolution in wealth management that has now spread throughout the industry — independent, transparent, and world-class financial advice driven by personal relationships and free of competing incentives.
We started our firm for a simple reason — it was the right thing to do. While others have copied our model, we continue to lead the way through a commitment to continuous education, a time-tested and academically supported investment philosophy, and unwavering dedication of excellence to our clients.
For these reasons, Dowling & Yahnke is one of the largest independent, fee-only wealth advisory firms in San Diego, managing approximately $4 billion for more than 1,000 clients. We serve high-net-worth clients by offering objective financial planning advice and investment management services.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented, and experienced Director of Financial Planning to join our team, reporting to Will Beamer. The ideal candidate will have over eight years of financial planning and management experience in the wealth management industry and will work closely with our advisors in a team-based setting. The Director of Financial Planning is expected to make a direct impact to the business and Firm’s growth initiative by providing thought leadership within the Firm, overseeing the planning department and process of delivering customized personal financial solutions for new and existing clients, and driving business development through community and industry involvement.
• Lead the Planning Department to further the Firm’s long-term strategic goals and progress toward key planning and client experience initiatives.
• Own and drive the financial planning process which includes designing, analyzing, and presenting customized plans tailored to each client’s facts and circumstances.
• Manage a team of Financial Planners and Paraplanners; mentor, train, monitor and manage the financial planning workload and communicate with the entire advisory team. Provide feedback for improvements and efficiencies to the planning deliverable and advance professional development of team members. Provide second level support for difficult or complex plans.
• Coach and counsel advisors and planners on financial planning strategies via formal training and on a case-by-case basis to serve client needs.
• Identify issues and planning opportunities for review and discussion with clients and clients’ advisors. Areas of emphasis to include financial goals analysis, estate planning, education planning, charitable giving, tax issues, insurance planning needs, Social Security, and executive compensation.
• Deliver plans to clients and their advisors in a clear and understandable manner. Responsibilities will include meeting preparation, financial plan construction, direct client contact, meeting follow-up and client service.
• Serve as a subject matter expert, staying current on planning issues, communicating updates to staff, and contributing content to the Firm’s website and third-party publications.
• Drive business development through community exposure and professional networks.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER (CFP®) designation required.
• Over eight years of financial planning experience and five years of management experience in overseeing a team of professionals.
• Bachelor’s degree (MBA strongly preferred).
• Certified Private Wealth Advisor (CPWA) a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Solid understanding of personal tax issues. CPA a plus.
• Proficiency with financial planning, Social Security analysis, and tax projection software; MoneyGuide Pro, eMoney, Tamarac Reporting, and BNA Income Tax Planner / CFS Tax Tools expertise a plus.
• History of community involvement and a broad professional network.
• Professional, personable, tactful, efficient, and self-motivated.
• Strong interpersonal skills and sense of teamwork valued.
• Strong organizational skills, multitasking, accuracy, service-minded, and meticulous adherence to details required.
• Entrepreneurial-minded approach to business; small/midsize company experience preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills.
This position is exempt and is paid according to the laws of the State of California.
Dowling & Yahnke offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package and profit sharing plan. The chosen candidate will be required to successfully complete a full background/credit check at the offer stage.
Dowling & Yahnke, LLC is an Equal Opportunity employer. No relocation assistance is offered for this position; candidates not residing in San Diego County, CA will be responsible for relocation at their own expense. Eligible candidates will be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States without support; sponsorship is not available.