Position Title: Senior Accountant
Reports to: Controller
Type of position: Full-time, salaried/exempt
In the first years of the 20th century, Isabella Stewart Gardner developed a new context for art in America by creating a place where visitors experienced music, performance, the beauty of gardens, and exceptional artworks spanning many centuries and regions of the world, all in a highly personal setting. Through contemporary and historic special exhibitions, concert series, lectures, an Artist-in- Residence program, and innovative school and community partnerships, the Gardner Museum continues to enrich the permanent collection and provides ongoing inspiration for visitors the world over. Join our dedicated, talented team of employees who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant shares responsibility for managing the Museum's accounting system including general ledger, support and program revenue and receivables, accounts payable, cash management, and monthly journal entries. The Senior Accountant also serves as the primary lead for the payroll and timekeeping systems.
• Support Controller in monthly closing of A/P and G/L modules
• Participate in the annual audit, including preparation of audit workpapers, resolution of all audit questions, and acting as liaison between auditors and museum employees
• Maintain prepaid schedules and reconcile balance sheet accounts
• Process bi-weekly payroll
• Responsible for bi-weekly, quarterly and annual journal entries, reconciliations and reporting
• Review all invoices prepared by the Junior Accountant for approvals and coding
• Serve as back-up for the A/P function
• Post A/P module weekly • Review and reconcile A/P aging each month
• Review check register, month-end reports
• Record support and program revenue in the general ledger
• Reconcile support revenue and receivables to information in the Development database.
• Process development, museum store, admissions, and miscellaneous deposits for proper coding and record-keeping
• Prepare reconciliation of cash and credit card accounts monthly
• Prepare wire transfers and wire payments for approval
Additional duties and responsibilities
• Work with various museum managers to ensure proper billing and completion of financial reports
• Assist Controller with ad hoc assignments
•Accounting degree plus 4-5 years general accounting experience
•Self-starter willing to take initiative on researching answers and at the same time, knowing when to ask or assistance
•Experience working with non-profit accounting preferred
•Expertise with Excel and advanced functions (including SUMIF, VLOOKUP, pivot tables)
•Ability to exercise discretion with confidential information
•Detail-oriented, but able to see the big picture
•Excellent communication skills
•Process re-engineering experience is a plus
•Commitment to working with a diverse staff.
•Ability to interact with all levels of Museum personnel; team player
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum's mission. To apply for this position, please use our online application. This is our preferred application method.
We often review applications on a rolling basis once a position has been posted. If you are particularly interested in an open position, we recommend submitting your application sooner than the stated deadline, if possible, to ensure consideration for the position.
The Gardner Museum is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disabilities, marital status or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We receive many resumes and kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.