Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County seeks upper school teachers for its K-12 Lone Tree campus in the south Denver metropolitan area.
At Ascent Classical Academies, teachers create their own lessons within the framework set by our content-rich curriculum, in collaboration with colleagues and in partnership with Hillsdale College's Barney Charter School Initiative. Teachers are dedicated to mastering the key elements of their instruction and to the intellectual and moral betterment of their students. Ascent Classical Academies teachers take seriously their own moral and intellectual improvement, as part of a hard-working, supportive, and excellence-driven culture.
We seek teachers who, far from merely assisting students with the memorization of dates, names, and events with little relevance to modern life, make history come to life. At Ascent Classical Academies, students dive into a study of the human condition. They observe the great movements and accomplishments in history and learn from the successes and failures of past generations. The classical approach to history emphasizes reading historical texts directly to understand the people of the past in their own words. These texts provide the backdrop for examining actions and the outcomes of decisions. Students ponder some of the questions mankind has been wrestling with since the beginning of time: What does it mean to live a good life? Is it right for a man to rule over another? Do human beings have natural rights? How one answers these questions affects not only the individual, but also families, communities, and nations. History also presents students with exemplars of virtue through the men and women who chose goodness and truth over expedience or comfort. These tangible examples make Ascent Classical Academies’ core virtues relatable to our students and relevant to their daily lives.
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies is a growing K-12 classical school network based in Colorado. Our schools offer an American Classical Education based on the Core Knowledge framework and scope and sequence developed by the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College. Ascent Classical schools currently serve approximately 1,500 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado and beyond. Our schools offer a well-rounded liberal arts and classical education grounded in virtue and supporting the ideas and philosophy behind the American Founding.
Desired Start Date: mid-August, 2022
Compensation Range and Particulars: $37,000 to $55,000 annually. Teachers work approximately 185 days per year, with significant time off in the summer. Pay is spread evenly over 12 months.
Schedule and Classification: Full-Time Exempt
- Employee-only coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance through HealthJoy
- Paid leave for qualifying events under the Family Medical Leave Act and the Colorado Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
- Robust teacher training including several weeks of on-site training and several days at Hillsdale College in Michigan each summer
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. The successful candidate will also foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- For co-curricular subjects, at least 36 hours of higher education credit in the subject area of instruction (alternatively, a passing grade in a content exam)
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- After offer is accepted, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Loyalty to the school and ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school and board policies
A teacher's license is neither required nor preferred.