Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County seeks upper school teachers for its K-12 Lone Tree campus in the south Denver metropolitan area.
At Ascent Classical Academies, teachers create their own lessons within the framework set by our content-rich curriculum, in collaboration with colleagues and in partnership with Hillsdale College's Barney Charter School Initiative. Teachers are dedicated to mastering the key elements of their instruction and to the intellectual and moral betterment of their students. Ascent Classical Academies teachers take seriously their own moral and intellectual improvement, as part of a hard-working, supportive, and excellence-driven culture.
Science is one of the most tangible ways for our students to experience wonder in the classroom. A classical school encourages students to approach the study of the natural world with an attitude of wonder and curiosity. Through the study of scientific topics, students learn how to observe the universe and investigate the phenomena they observe. They practice critical questioning and reasoning through collecting data, building inferences, testing hypotheses, and applying theories and principles already discovered. Too often, the scientific disciplines are valued only for their monetary potential. In a classical classroom, biology, chemistry, and physics are valued as means of understanding and marveling at nature. In tandem with our virtue of wonder, our students are shaped by science into thoughtful human beings who examine, question, and integrate prior knowledge into their encounter with the unknown. It is our hope that our students find within the study of science a miniature portrait of the power of human reason when applied to the natural world.
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies is a growing K-12 classical school network based in Colorado. Our schools offer an American Classical Education based on the Core Knowledge framework and scope and sequence developed by the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College. Ascent Classical schools currently serve approximately 1,500 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado and beyond. Our schools offer a well-rounded liberal arts and classical education grounded in virtue and supporting the ideas and philosophy behind the American Founding.
Desired Start Date: mid-August, 2022
Compensation Range and Particulars: $37,000 to $55,000 annually. Teachers work approximately 185 days per year, with significant time off in the summer. Pay is spread evenly over 12 months.
Schedule and Classification: Full-Time Exempt
- Employee-only coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance through HealthJoy
- Paid leave for qualifying events under the Family Medical Leave Act and the Colorado Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
- Robust teacher training including several weeks of on-site training and several days at Hillsdale College in Michigan each summer
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. The successful candidate will also foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing.
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- For co-curricular subjects, at least 36 hours of higher education credit in the subject area of instruction (alternatively, a passing grade in a content exam)
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- After offer is accepted, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Loyalty to the school and ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school and board policies
A teacher's license is neither required nor preferred.