Seasonal Program Assistant
Sunset Zoo - Parks & Recreation
STARTING WAGE: $10.00/hr. CLOSING DATE: April 16, 2022 (applications reviewed as received)
How to apply: Using the “apply” button on this page, please complete the required online application. For general questions about the position, contact Parks and Recreation at 785-587-2757.
The Program Assistant is responsible for furthering Sunset Zoo’s mission of inspiring conservation of the natural world by assisting
the Education Department through the delivery of high quality, education programs. Education programs include but are not limited to summer camps, day camps, guided tours, interactive distance learning programs, exclusive zoo experiences, birthday parties, and on grounds guest activities, off-site education programs. Program Assistants also support Sunset Zoo’s marketing department by assisting with setup, clean-up and supervision of facility rentals, and provides various support for special events.
- Provide excellent customer service while assisting Sunset Zoo further its mission of inspiring conservation of the natural world.
- Deliver high-quality, education programs as directed by the Programs and Education Animals Manager and/or Curator of Education.
- Establish and maintain cooperative professional working relationships with others; individually and in a team environment.
- Responsible for maintaining open communication wit program participants and parents of participants enrolled in education programs.
- Follow licensing regulations required by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment to operate camp programs at Sunset Zoo.
- Manage classroom environments.
- Supervise volunteers assisting with program delivery.
- Maintain the safety and wellbeing of ambassador animals during programs.
- Ensure first aid kits are stocked and readily available.
- Perform minor first aid for injuries that may occur during education programs or at the Zoo.
- Safely operate motor vehicles and utilize required PPE to safely perform the duties of a Program Assistant.
- Setup, clean-up, and supervise facility rentals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work performed at indoor and outdoor facilities throughout Sunset Zoo and surrounding spaces; Majority of work is performed
outside, which may take place in extreme heat, extreme cold and direct sun which could expose staff to various outside atmospheric conditions; noise level and activity level will be varied.
Physical Demands - Standing and walking for extended periods of time, speak, climb stairs, squat, kneel, crawl, push, pull or lift up to 50 pounds.
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent
- 3 months experience working with school-age children/youth.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 15 hours of college credit in an animal/wildlife, environmental/conservation, natural resources, education, psychology, or sociology related courses.
- 6 months experience working with school-age children/youth Preferred license(s) and/or certification(s)
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Applicants must pass a KBI fingerprint background check.
- Applicants must pass drug test.
- Outside training and classes are required.
- Current availability is for leading summer camps that will start May 31, 2022, and training will begin in early May 2022.
- Opportunities to continue as a Program Assistant in the Fall, may be available.
The City of Manhattan, KS Department of Parks and Recreation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The statements included in this
job description are not implied to be an employment contract and the employer reserves all appropriate employment-at-will privileges.